TV sound poor at new address and remote struggles to work

Just moved into temp accommodation short distance away while house is restored. Taken TV with us (LG 4k). TV worked fine at home. Have got new Virgin account here just configured it and TV sound is now quite poor. Sound on TV at home was fine. I

TV STB is connected to router via ethernet cable and they are close together. At home TV used WiFi signal to router on floor above . . Here both boxes are under TV should I separate them move them further apartt?

Also TV remote will now only work when held very close to TV here. Anyone got any ideas for reason. Again no problems at home before move.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    <Also TV remote will now only work when held very close to TV here. Anyone got any ideas for reason.

Usually batterys or dirt on IR .
  • littlerock wrote: »
    Just moved into temp accommodation short distance away while house is restored. Taken TV with us (LG 4k). TV worked fine at home. Have got new Virgin account here just configured it and TV sound is now quite poor. Sound on TV at home was fine. I

TV STB is connected to router via ethernet cable and they are close together. At home TV used WiFi signal to router on floor above . . Here both boxes are under TV should I separate them move them further apartt?

Also TV remote will now only work when held very close to TV here. Anyone got any ideas for reason. Again no problems at home before move.

Moving them apart certainly wouldn't do any harm although I'm not certain how it would affect the sound in any case. In what way is the sound worse? Is it perhaps down to the different room acoustics?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Check that the HDMI lead from set top box to TV is seated correctly. Have you used the same lead?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As mentioned, most likely an issue with different sound acoustics. Is the TV positioned differently in the new property, ie, further away from a wall, on a different stand etc?

Check the sound settings on your TV, there may be setting to change, if for example you're closer than 30cm to a wall or actually hung from a wall. I have a Samsung TV that you can change the direction the sound comes out of the speakers dependant if it's wall hung or not.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    IR - light falling on the receiver's sensor? or something obstructing line of sight to it?
    Dodgy led room lighting emitting IR interference?
    Duff batteries.

Sound: I agree with neilmcl as the most likely.

BUT also check the TV's per input sound settings are not different for the new Virgin hdmi input cf whatever you used at the other location (and copy them across if so)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure