dixons on line 'used goods'?

Options
We have recently ordered two 15" lcd tvs for christmas presents for our sons. They arrived today and we decided to open them and check they are working.....good job too!!

After opening we could see that both boxes had obviously already been opened as they had been folded back down differently to be resealed, not necessarily a problem in itself but..

One TV had the cables 'hand wound' around the power pack, as if it had been used and put back, the other TV does not have a power pack at all, but the bag with the remote in was open, with loose batteries inside, and another set of batteries already put in the remote, again appearing to have been used.

Both have totally different instructions (they are the same model TV)

My question is, if this can just be explained as a 'quality control check' or if its likely that they have been previously bought and returned, I have heard of goods being 'graded' (I think thats the term, when items are returned, mended and then resold, or have minor cosmetic scratches) but there was no mention of this on the Dixons site we bought them from.

My OH thinks logistically, instead of coming from a central warehouse, they may have been couriered from a Dixons shop in the region, where they may have been returned to, and the shop are off loading them to internet buyers as a shop customers have gone for the ones in 'better boxes'

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions??

We will be emailing them stating more or less the above, but advice from the vast experience of any MSE friends would be helpful!:beer:

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cant see it being as part of quality control as the batteries wouldnt be loose would they, plus the manuals wouldnt be different, i reckon theyre tvs that have been returned or have been display models,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Give Dixons the choice of collect and 100% refund or 60% discount!

When they say they can't do 60% discount, ask them why they sell second hand goods as new, which of course contravenes the Sale of Goods Act and generates a couple of criminal offences as well!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Brooke_Daver
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Give Dixons the choice of collect and 100% refund or 60% discount!!

And then be prepared for them to laugh at you.
    When they say they can't do 60% discount, ask them why they sell second hand goods as new, which of course contravenes the Sale of Goods Act and generates a couple of criminal offences as well!

Which criminal offences would those be?
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    And then be prepared for them to laugh at you.

I thought that trolls were capable of spotting irony :confused:

Dixons are taking the p1ss, so why not do the same??
    Which criminal offences would those be?

Find out for yourself.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Brooke_Daver
    Options
    I thought that trolls were capable of spotting irony :confused:

Dixons are taking the p1ss, so why not do the same??

How does that really help OP?

Find out for yourself.

Can't you tell us?
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well, promt and sucessful conclusion!
    After OH emailed Dixons, they called and offered to collect the TVs and replace, however they said that any replacements we would get, could be used ones too!!!! so we are getting a refund and going elsewhere.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    update to this, and request for advice please!

the TVs were eventually collected on 3rd Dec, advised it would take 3-5 days to get returned, and then another 3-5 days for refund to be credited to credit card.

Checked with credit card company on 11th dec, no refund, called Dixons, they confirm that they recieved the TVs that day (yeah right) and refund would be cleared within 3-5 days.

On the 18th still no refund, getting close to the credit card payment deadline of 24th, again called Dixons, they say it will definatly be refunded withing 24 hours and therefore we had no need to pay that element of the credit card balance as we would then be unessesarily £250 in 'credit card credit'

Anyway, left it with husband (second bad mistake.....!)
    He didnt check over christmas, prompted him to call credit card company, who confirm......wait for it.......they have no record of our previous calls, and their system does not even show that it has even been recieved! so therefore a refund has not been made! Grrrrrrrr!

So now we have credit card interest charges on £250 on top of the calls etc. (not always sucessful getting through on saynoto0870 numbers)

I was initially relieved and a little impressed that they did not debate the return of the TVs, but no wonder, now they have the TVs back (possibly) and can resell to some other sap, and they have had £250 of my money in there coffers earning interest for over a month!

Any one else had a similar problem with Dixons on line, and how it was resolved?

We have also discussed it with our credit card company (well Husband has, they will not speak to me as its in his name only.....cheek, its my current account that pays it off at the end of the month, sorry I digress)

They say they are jointly responsible for the refund and could communicate with Dixons to put some pressue on, but that process could take 4-6 weeks from now, in which time they are fairly confident Dixons will have coughed up!!
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    i would compain to dixons and get them to pay for your charges too
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    A company has to refund you, by law, within 30 days. Ring trading standards who will put pressure on them. Make sure you write to them asking for your expenses to be refunded.

I had a similar problem and it took them 2 months to refund me!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i would get onto your cc company to chase this up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts