Forum Home» Consumer Rights

Faulty second hand car - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Faulty second hand car

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
34 replies 2.2K views

Replies

• My first letter was right at the begining of August so it's been over 1 month and nothing. He won't even respond to my message asking him what company name the court papers need to be filed under. Genuine question because the garage name/address is different from the address he told me to write to
  • bigisibigisi
    925 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Garymand wrote: »
    My first letter was right at the begining of August so it's been over 1 month and nothing. He won't even respond to my message asking him what company name the court papers need to be filed under. Genuine question because the garage name/address is different from the address he told me to write to

Of course he won't. Why would he make it easy for you?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The address on the invoice that you received upon purchasing the car?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • That's what I thought, I just don't want the court to get confused because the complaint letter and letter before court have been sent to the company name and address he said to send them to
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several of these faults ( at least the last 3) appear to have developed more than 2 months after you bought the vehicle, so can reasonably be assumed to have not been present at the time of purchase. Your case lacks any context: you cannot expect a 10 y/o car which has (guess) done 80-100K to be fault free or maintenance free for any length of time.
    And it was your choice to buy from a garage so far away: the seller is not responsible for the cost of recovering the vehicle to his premises.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Thanks for your reply. All of the faults developed (or were present when I brought the vehicle) within the first 3 months of me buying the car. I never expected the car to be 'perfect' but expected that at least the faults that were present when I brought the vehicle (but didn't know they were present) would be fixed. As the garage refused I called CAB who said within 6 months you are entitled to a repair and if you have one fault fixed but the car developed further fault, you have a 'right to reject'
  • bigisibigisi
    925 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Garymand wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. All of the faults developed (or were present when I brought the vehicle) within the first 3 months of me buying the car. I never expected the car to be 'perfect' but expected that at least the faults that were present when I brought the vehicle (but didn't know they were present) would be fixed. As the garage refused I called CAB who said within 6 months you are entitled to a repair and if you have one fault fixed but the car developed further fault, you have a 'right to reject'

Where did you bring it?
  • I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean?
  • Garymand wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean?
    You used the word 'brought' instead of 'bought'.
  • The difficulty I see here is that you did not give them an opportunity to repair the faults (this is well within their rights). So do not understand how you satisfied the first part of the 6 month consumer rights act.