Isa and NI number

Hi, I have 2 young staff working in my team who have come from S Ireland to work in this country for 18 months or so. They would like to open ISA's but don't have a NI number, is it possible to open one without please?
Thanks

Comments

• Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    To be honest I'm not really sure they qualify for an ISA allowance if they're here temporarily as suggested in your post but there is the following advice in HMRC HELPSHEET on ISA's:
    " You can only open an ISA if you are resident and ordinarily resident in the UK for tax purposes. If you are unsure about this, call our Centre for Non-Residents on 0845 070 0040".
    Residence, non-residence and domicile are very complex areas and though they'll be paying tax on their earnings here I'm not sure whether that fact alone qualifies them for ISAs.
    I should suggest they contact HMRC.
  • Thanks for that, guess I will try and find a standard savings account for them, with a decent APR in that case. Thanks!
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    wendywhite wrote: »
    Hi, I have 2 young staff working in my team who have come from S Ireland to work in this country for 18 months or so. They would like to open ISA's but don't have a NI number, is it possible to open one without please?
    Thanks

don't they require an NI number to work legally here (and for you to pay them?)
  • McSaver
    McSaver Posts: 609 Forumite
    They will require an NI number for an ISA this is so the inland revenue knows that you have used their ISA entitlement each year.
    Had £80,000 in Savings - All GONE!!! BYE BYE
    :A Single, 27, Aspie, Gooner :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family