Renting my spare bedrooms out to my friends

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
32 replies 2.5K views

Replies

• MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    892 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I can't emphasise strongly enough to NOT ever use the words "splitting the mortgage" with them or anyone else ever.

Sometimes friendships end and people can turn out very differently to what you thought they were like.

Never ever give anyone the chance of an excuse to grab for some of your house equity if it comes to it by saying "Well you said we were 'splitting the mortgage' and so I've paid into this house and own some of it".

Just treat them the same way you would treat any lodger and apply for "Rent a room" tax relief.
    There are trolls around - unfortunately - but I wait for them to go off and "self combust" or have a go at someone else to fulfil their hobby they have - rather than doing "feed the trolls".

Please bear in mind these people exist - and take it into account.

• Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be happy splitting the mortgage as the house is not mine.
  • Marvel1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy splitting the mortgage as the house is not mine.

I think the poster was using it as a ball park figure for what to charge.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    A landlord not living in the property would have zero rights of access unless authorised by the tenant.

So? Why would a landlord be going into a room anyway? I don't think a lock on the door is put on the door for any other reason for the tenants benefit and legally I don't think it does much.

Both landlords want their rent to be paid and when this fails, do either side have extra rights? I just don't see what the differences are apart from "landlord entering room..... empty bins"
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So? Why would a landlord be going into a room anyway? - I have no idea, perhaps they're stealing jewellery, or knickers, or? I don't know I don't think a lock on the door is put on the door for any other reason for the tenants benefit and legally I don't think it does much.

Both landlords want their rent to be paid and when this fails, do either side have extra rights? I just don't see what the differences are apart from "landlord entering room..... empty bins"

Yes a live-in landlord doesn't require a court order to evict, a live out landlord does.

If the basics of tenancy laws are confusing G_M has a sticky on the main sub-forum
  • By their very nature, a landlord living or not living in the house can enter the room for whatever reason they wish.

I mean... this is 100% not true at all. I think you should probably refrain from commenting on this kind of thread of you don't understand even the basic principles of tenancy law
  • I mean... this is 100% not true at all. I think you should probably refrain from commenting on this kind of thread of you don't understand even the basic principles of tenancy law

It is true. If the landlord wants to do maintance on the rooms and conduct checks, they are entitled to do so, as long as the tenancy states it, and all of mine have done.
  • edited 20 August 2019 at 12:22PM
    HoneylifeHoneylife Forumite
    209 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭
    edited 20 August 2019 at 12:22PM
    First, you must understand that a Tenant is COMPLETELY different to a Lodger! The latter lives with the Landlord, ie Live in Landlord or Resident Landlord is the terminology.

A Licence Agreement (or Lodgers Agreement) does not grant a tenancy, merely a licence to occupy and is excluded under Section 3A(2) of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. This is one of the key differences.

Second there is a wealth of information on Google about having a Lodger under the Rent a Room scheme.

Third, G_M sticky is excellent as is https://www.spareroom.co.uk/ AND http://lodgersite.com/

Fourth, You can do a Search on these Forums for the many discussions on this topic to read viewpoints from several of us Resident Landlords.

The Lock on the Lodgers Bedroom Door thing really seems to get some people going either way. If you have one lodger, they probably wont mind, but if you have two then perhaps one or other feel that the other lodger may be snooping around their [STRIKE]Penthouse magazines[/STRIKE] room when they are not around. I sympathise there.

However, as someone who has now had two lodgers for several years, of both genders, this has never ever been an issue. The only locks on the doors in this house are my bedroom and study! All rooms have night latches. The lodgers would have also had access to my adult children's rooms. However recently (three months ago) after much thought I put safes (slim ones that are big enough for a laptop) in each of the lodgers room fixing them to the floor of the built-in wardrobes.

It is also written in the Agreement that they are not allowed to put any locks/bolts on the doors included the inside. I will never ever put locks on the bedroom doors and inform all viewers of this. If they don't like it they don't take it.

If a potential viewer wants Privacy then they should really look at a Tenancy or an HMO without a Resident landlord.

The vast majority of us Resident Landlords do not snoop around the lodgers rooms, we really are only interested that its kept in reasonable condition. I go into the lodgers rooms to close the windows when it rains, bleed the radiator, or if they are on holiday to unplug the electrics. I don't even empty the bins as in my book it is not an Airbnb/hotel I am not a chambermaid!
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    :(
  • Honeylife wrote: »
    First, you must understand that a Tenant is COMPLETELY different to a Lodger! The latter lives with the Landlord, ie Live in Landlord or Resident Landlord is the terminology.

A Licence Agreement (or Lodgers Agreement) does not grant a tenancy, merely a licence to occupy and is excluded under Section 3A(2) of the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. This is one of the key differences.

Second there is a wealth of information on Google about having a Lodger under the Rent a Room scheme.

Third, G_M sticky is excellent as is https://www.spareroom.co.uk/ AND http://lodgersite.com/

Fourth, You can do a Search on these Forums for the many discussions on this topic to read viewpoints from several of us Resident Landlords.

The Lock on the Lodgers Bedroom Door thing really seems to get some people going either way. If you have one lodger, they probably wont complain, but if you have two then perhaps one or other feel that the other lodger may be snooping around their [STRIKE]Penthouse magazines[/STRIKE] room when they are not around. I sympathise there.

However, as someone who has now had two lodgers for several years, of both genders, this has never ever been an issue. The only locks on the doors in this house are my bedroom and study! All rooms have night latches. The lodgers would have also had access to my adult children's rooms. However recently (three months ago) after much thought I put safes (slim ones that are big enough for a laptop) in each of the lodgers room fixing them to the floor of the built-in wardrobes.

It is also written in the Agreement that they are not allowed to put any locks/bolts on the doors included the inside. I will never ever put locks on the bedroom doors and inform all viewers of this. If they don't like it they don't take it.

If a potential viewer wants Privacy then they should really look at a Tenancy or an HMO without a Resident landlord.

The vast majority of us Resident Landlords do not snoop around the lodgers rooms, we really are only interested that its kept in reasonable condition. I go into the lodgers rooms to close the windows when it rains, bleed the radiator, or if they are on holiday to unplug the electrics. I don't even empty the bins as in my book it is not an Airbnb/hotel I am not a chambermaid!
    On a personal level why don't you want locks on the door? If you have a key, what's the issue?
    Just for reference for 8 years I was renting and renting out rooms and I didn't have locks. However now im in a HMO I would get inside locks for rooms. The last house I was as a lodger, one of the other lodgers went into my room on a regular basis because he was an alcoholic. I will be getting inside locks on rooms in my house.
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honeylife wrote: »
    The Lock on the Lodgers Bedroom Door thing really seems to get some people going either way. If you have one lodger, they probably wont complain, but if you have two then perhaps one or other feel that the other lodger may be snooping around their [STRIKE]Penthouse magazines[/STRIKE] room when they are not around. I sympathise there.

I don't have locks on interal doors, nor would I allow them to be fitted. There are thumb latches on bedroom & bathroom doors if the lodgers have any privacy concerns. With my current two lodgers, we trust and respect each others space, property, & privacy and locks have never been mentioned. With the previous couple, a lock on the drinks cabinet would have been a good idea, but they got their marching orders once I clocked the wine disappearing.

If there is mutual trust and respect between the lodger(s) and landlord, then locks shouldn't be needed. If there is no trust, then get a different lodger.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.