Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Renting my spare bedrooms out to my friends - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Renting my spare bedrooms out to my friends

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
32 replies 2.5K views
24

Replies

  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryanbell94 wrote: »
    Is this 7.5k for each room or both rooms?



    It's £7.5k in total for EVERYTHING they pay you
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    Surely, less annoying than granting a lodger "exclusive occupation" of a room and, therefore, the same rights as a tenant, don't you think?


    Does the person living with a person who owns the house have exclusive occupation because they have a key to the front door? Do they have exclusive occupation because they have a lock on the bathroom? Do they not have the right to keep their belongings safe during the day from other people? Does that person not have the right to lock their door and keep them safe when sleeping at night (an example would be a woman sharing with men she doesn't know and doesn't control who moves in)? Obviously you won't agree.


    What is the point of a person who lives/owns the house having a lodger agreement?
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the person living with a person who owns the house have exclusive occupation because they have a key to the front door? - no? Do they have exclusive occupation because they have a lock on the bathroom? - no? Do they not have the right to keep their belongings safe during the day from other people? -no Does that person not have the right to lock their door and keep them safe when sleeping at night (an example would be a woman sharing with men she doesn't know and doesn't control who moves in)? - why would a woman sharing with men be any more at risk than anyone else? Obviously you won't agree. - Clearly not, you haven't actually come up with a sensible suggestion


    What is the point of a person who lives/owns the house having a lodger agreement?



    Usually in order to pursue the matter through the courts if necessary...
  • edited 19 August 2019 at 10:12AM
    muhandismuhandis Forumite
    994 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 19 August 2019 at 10:12AM
    Quite right. Having a lock on the door to a lodger's room does not automatically make it a tenancy.

    If the door has a lock and the tenant is given a key, this will not be a tenancy if the landlord also has a key and regularly goes in from time to time, to do cleaning, empty the bins, etc.

    Indeed, the two times that I've lived as a lodger in London and the NW, I could always lock my door (though I'm sure the LL had a key as well).
    Does the person living with a person who owns the house have exclusive occupation because they have a key to the front door? Do they have exclusive occupation because they have a lock on the bathroom? Do they not have the right to keep their belongings safe during the day from other people? Does that person not have the right to lock their door and keep them safe when sleeping at night (an example would be a woman sharing with men she doesn't know and doesn't control who moves in)? Obviously you won't agree.


    What is the point of a person who lives/owns the house having a lodger agreement?
  • SmodletSmodlet Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    muhandis wrote: »
    Quite right. Having a lock on the door to a lodger's room does not automatically make it a tenancy.

    If the door has a lock and the tenant is given a key, this will not be a tenancy if the landlord also has a key and regularly goes in from time to time, to do cleaning, empty the bins, etc.

    Indeed, the two times that I've lived as a lodger in London and the NW, I could always lock my door (though I'm sure the LL had a key as well).

    @comedyseeker123, how dare you assume you know my opinion on anything unless I have stated it? Of course, I think people should be able to lock their rooms to keep themselves and their belongings safe! I did not say I agreed with the law; I said that is what the law is. Given a potential LL began this thread, my reply was geared to a LL's point of view. Debating the morality of the law regarding lodgers' rights is a separate issue.

    Muhandis, thank you for the clarification. Yes, if the LL also has a key to the room, it cannot be classed as "exclusive" occupation for the simple reason someone besides the occupier has a key. I omitted to mention that because, imho, to a large extent it defeats the purpose of the lodger having one.

    The received wisdom is, if you allow a lodger a lock on their bedroom door, you risk their becoming a tenant with all the rights of one so, from a LL's point of view, it is preferable not to take that risk.

    By their very nature, front door keys and bolts on bathroom doors do not convey "exclusive" occupation because everyone in the property will have a front door key and use of the bathroom.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    G_M's stickies have come unstuck!
  • zagubovzagubov Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    muhandis wrote: »
    Quite right. Having a lock on the door to a lodger's room does not automatically make it a tenancy.

    If the door has a lock and the tenant is given a key, this will not be a tenancy if the landlord also has a key and regularly goes in from time to time, to do cleaning, empty the bins, etc.

    Indeed, the two times that I've lived as a lodger in London and the NW, I could always lock my door (though I'm sure the LL had a key as well).

    That's a good point. Simply not fitting a lock in the door in the first place might be easier.

    A lodger would probably expect to have a bathroom-style bolt for ther door so they can have privacy when they're present.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Usually in order to pursue the matter through the courts if necessary...


    I'm not understanding the difference - partly because I haven't researched it and also because as a renter I've rented out rooms (overseas) and rented rooms. The only difference is the landlord can enter the room without permission. Sounds more like a parent and child relationship rather than adults?
  • Smodlet wrote: »
    @comedyseeker123, how dare you assume you know my opinion on anything unless I have stated it? Of course, I think people should be able to lock their rooms to keep themselves and their belongings safe! I did not say I agreed with the law; I said that is what the law is. Given a potential LL began this thread, my reply was geared to a LL's point of view. Debating the morality of the law regarding lodgers' rights is a separate issue.

    Muhandis, thank you for the clarification. Yes, if the LL also has a key to the room, it cannot be classed as "exclusive" occupation for the simple reason someone besides the occupier has a key. I omitted to mention that because, imho, to a large extent it defeats the purpose of the lodger having one.

    The received wisdom is, if you allow a lodger a lock on their bedroom door, you risk their becoming a tenant with all the rights of one so, from a LL's point of view, it is preferable not to take that risk.

    By their very nature, front door keys and bolts on bathroom doors do not convey "exclusive" occupation because everyone in the property will have a front door key and use of the bathroom.


    how double dare you lol. Dude calm down, I wasn't taking a dig at you.


    By their very nature, a landlord living or not living in the house can enter the room for whatever reason they wish. The person doesn't own that room.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how double dare you lol. Dude calm down, I wasn't taking a dig at you.


    By their very nature, a landlord living or not living in the house can enter the room for whatever reason they wish. The person doesn't own that room.



    A landlord not living in the property would have zero rights of access unless authorised by the tenant.
  • SmodletSmodlet Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    how double dare you lol. Dude calm down, I wasn't taking a dig at you.

    ... Still not a dude and don't tell me what to do, you little upstart... LOL; that forgives everything to the text generation, right? :)

    By their very nature, a landlord living or not living in the house can enter the room for whatever reason they wish. The person doesn't own that room.

    No, they cannot. A tenant has the right to "quiet enjoyment", exclusive occupation and at least 24 hours' notice of inspection. In theory, they cannot refuse access; in practice, they are frequently exhorted to change the locks by, amongst others, many of the LLs who post on this board.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    G_M's stickies have come unstuck!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support