Zen, speed

Options
My ISP is Zen.

My connection speed as shown by accessing the router is ALWAYS as follows:

connected↓ 80,0 Mbit/s↑ 20,0 Mbit/s

My actual speed had been going downwards by steps over time. See graph below.

It is not internal wiring since I have tested directly into the master socket.

Please, can anyone tell me why these step changes occur?

zen_speed.jpg
I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It looks like your line is seeing a lot of problems so the automatic systems are dropping your speed in an effort to provide a stable connection.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My ISP is Zen.

My connection speed as shown by accessing the router is ALWAYS as follows:

connected↓ 80,0 Mbit/s↑ 20,0 Mbit/s

My actual speed had been going downwards by steps over time. See graph below.

It is not internal wiring since I have tested directly into the master socket.

Please, can anyone tell me why these step changes occur?

zen_speed.jpg

Is your 'actual speed' tested wired to the router or using WiFi? I'm presuming you have rebooted the router at some point?
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Thank you, Colin. Yes, I am connecting by ethernet, I have rebooted my router and I have plugged into the master socket. I used to see variability in connection speed, but now I am ALWAYS connected at 80 exactly. Is the loss of speed caused by the Zen or Open Reach components of the network?
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2019 at 12:11PM
    Options
    Thank you, unforeseen. Why does my connection speed (always 80) not drop?

zen_picture.jpg
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is your line clean? Have you tried dialling 17070 option 2 "Quiet Line Test". If there are any pops or crackles then these can affect the speed. This is best done from a hard wired phone rather than a wireless one.

The drops shown on your graph do tend to indicate that the line is not very stable.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your sync speed, which is your raw connection speed is the speed measured between the router and the external equipment (DSLAM normally) is static at the full package 80/20mbps which indicates the line and raw connection are fine.

When you are doing the speed tests you are monitoring the throughput speed which can vary depending on various things.

The only accurate way to measure throughput is ensure only 1 device is connected to the router, via ethernet (turn off wireless on the router)
    Boot the device into safe mode with networking if windows, and the MAC variant if MAC OS

This ensures there are no other devices on the internet network or other programmes running in the background of the device that might skew the throughput speed test results.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    Your sync speed, which is your raw connection speed is the speed measured between the router and the external equipment (DSLAM normally) is static at the full package 80/20mbps which indicates the line and raw connection are fine.

When you are doing the speed tests you are monitoring the throughput speed which can vary depending on various things.

The only accurate way to measure throughput is ensure only 1 device is connected to the router, via ethernet (turn off wireless on the router)
    Boot the device into safe mode with networking if windows, and the MAC variant if MAC OS

This ensures there are no other devices on the internet network or other programmes running in the background of the device that might skew the throughput speed test results.

Thank you. I have followed your advice to the letter and I typically get a download speed of 68 but it can be lower. The router used to show connection speeds which would vary from time to time but now 80 is always indicated. When I run diagnostics with the Openreach speed checker, an "IP profile" is indicated of an unvarying 70.4. The router itself does not show the IP profile. I think that over time my line has become less good, but does this decline lie entirely within Openreache's domain or is Zen contributory?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your ISP has nothing to do with the line from your house to the exchange as that is under the control of Openreach.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. I have followed your advice to the letter and I typically get a download speed of 68 but it can be lower. The router used to show connection speeds which would vary from time to time but now 80 is always indicated. When I run diagnostics with the Openreach speed checker, an "IP profile" is indicated of an unvarying 70.4. The router itself does not show the IP profile. I think that over time my line has become less good, but does this decline lie entirely within Openreache's domain or is Zen contributory?

That's fine i would say.

As long as your throughput speed is within 70% of your sync rate, then it would be deemed normal and acceptable.
    You are currently getting throughput speeds of approx 85% your sync rate

58Mbps is the lowest acceptable speed test when doing it via sites.

The IP profile is the maximum speed you will achieve on speed tests.

Although your router is connected at 80Mbps, the throughput speed has been capped (that's your IP profile) possible to ensure the connection remains stable and reliable.
    Interleaving and error correction can lower the IP profile a little but that's out of your control.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Thank you, Retrogamer, for your kindness in explaining this to me. It seems that I can monitor the picture best by deriving the IP Profile from the Openreach site. Certainly, performance has been falling over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure