edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
19 replies 4.5K views
2»

Replies

• rosie_drewrosie_drew Forumite
    39 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    fwor wrote: »
    Have you read the PayPal Purchase Protection terms? Is there anything about the purchase that does not meet their requirements?

One issue that you will have is that, if any offence has been committed by using someone else's logo, that is a matter between the two other parties - it is probably a copyright issue more than anything. If their advert made no claims about their relationship with the insurance company then you should not have assumed that there was one. Did they actually state that they had a commercially relationship of any kind?

How long ago did you pay the deposit?

I they didn’t claim that I assumed. Thanks
    39 posts
    antrobus wrote: »
    The claim would be misrepresentation, that the OP had booked the course believing it to be endorsed by the insurance company, when in fact it wasn't.

The claim for any refund should have been made to the training company in the first instance.

I tried this and they refused to cancel my place on the course or give, the deposit back.
    39 posts
    You may be right, but I'm finding it hard to see what is being misrepresented.

If the training company had included words to the effect that they are endorsed, then that would be misrepresentation. But just having a logo there doesn't mean much, because nobody could infer any meaning from that. Perhaps it just means that the training company get their insurance there?

I'm not convinced that you could claim a refund from a company on the basis that they have a logo on their website, the meaning of which you do not know.

Yes, I guess this is the case. Thanks
    39 posts
    Oh well, thanks for your replies. Lesson learnt I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    What is a "beauty insurance company"?

I'm still wondering what this is myself?
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Forumite
    751 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    It's a workplace/public liability package designed specifically for beauty/therapy professionals.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    But just having a logo there doesn't mean much, because nobody could infer any meaning from that.

So when you see an ABTA logo on a travel agents brochure or a Gas Safe Register logo on boiler repair advert it’s meaningless is it?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    18.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when you see an ABTA logo on a travel agents brochure or a Gas Safe Register logo on boiler repair advert it’s meaningless is it?

It doesn't mean you necessarily have a case against ABTA or the Gas Safe Register.
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK... Now one thing I have occasionally done in my working life is challenge companies who use my employer's name and logo to imply a connection or endorsement where none exists - on the grounds that it may mislead (potential) customers. This is what happened to the OP. As fwor said - a specific claim of "we are approved by X" is easy to challenge as untrue; display of the logo a little more vague. Does your insurance company actually have an approved list - or a scheme that says you get reduced premiums for training with an approved company? If so - then the case for mis-representation is a bit stronger. If it was a professional or regulatory body logo being mis-used then even more so as that might be a case for Trading Standards.

Unless you can point to any provable untruth in the contract or order form or receipt or whatever, you might have to suck it up and take the training (which you presumably wanted in the first place) knowing that the company possibly isn't the best on offer. Sorry....
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!