Get my money back

Hi

I paid through PayPal a desposit for a training course. I chose this company as they had a logo of my beauty insurance company.

However, when I asked for a quote from my current beauty insurance they :(denied having dealings with the training company.

So, I tried to get my £500 deposit back.

But I’ve lost the claim?

PayPal said

We've reviewed the transaction(s) and are denying your claim(s). The decision was made because the purchase is ineligible for PayPal Purchase Protection according to our User Agreement.

We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).

I’m not sure what this means? Help please.

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you read the PayPal Purchase Protection terms? Is there anything about the purchase that does not meet their requirements?

One issue that you will have is that, if any offence has been committed by using someone else's logo, that is a matter between the two other parties - it is probably a copyright issue more than anything. If their advert made no claims about their relationship with the insurance company then you should not have assumed that there was one. Did they actually state that they had a commercially relationship of any kind?

How long ago did you pay the deposit?
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    The claim would be misrepresentation, that the OP had booked the course believing it to be endorsed by the insurance company, when in fact it wasn't.

The claim for any refund should have been made to the training company in the first instance.
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2019 at 4:54PM
    antrobus wrote: »
    The claim would be misrepresentation

You may be right, but I'm finding it hard to see what is being misrepresented.

If the training company had included words to the effect that they are endorsed, then that would be misrepresentation. But just having a logo there doesn't mean much, because nobody could infer any meaning from that. Perhaps it just means that the training company get their insurance there?

I'm not convinced that you could claim a refund from a company on the basis that they have a logo on their website, the meaning of which you do not know.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2019 at 6:59PM
    Can I ask one thing?
    Have you got the course that you wanted?
  • PayPal are just the payment processor, you’ll have to go after the company directly if you want a resolution.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What is the connection between the training course and getting a quote from your insurance company?

What was the quote for?

You would only have a claim through Paypal if they did not deliver the course.

Just for changing your mind you have no claim.
  • cedrag
    cedrag Posts: 26 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    rosie_drew wrote: »
    Hi

I paid through PayPal a desposit for a training course. I chose this company as they had a logo of my beauty insurance company.

However, when I asked for a quote from my current beauty insurance they :(denied having dealings with the training company.

So, I tried to get my £500 deposit back.

But I’ve lost the claim?

PayPal said

We've reviewed the transaction(s) and are denying your claim(s). The decision was made because the purchase is ineligible for PayPal Purchase Protection according to our User Agreement.

We're sorry for any problems you may have experienced with the transaction(s).

I’m not sure what this means? Help please.

Sounds like this was a business to business transaction to me, and therefore you have NO CONSUMER RIGHTS in this regard. :)
  • What is a "beauty insurance company"?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What is a "beauty insurance company"?
    No idea, and if I had a policy I'd be stinking rich by now.
  • antrobus wrote: »
    The claim would be misrepresentation, that the OP had booked the course believing it to be endorsed by the insurance company, when in fact it wasn't.

The claim for any refund should have been made to the training company in the first instance.

I did get straight back to the training company and they have said I have no claim and won’t get my money back.

I tried to claim through PayPal and raised a dispute and then appealed against my loss. They say they couldn’t help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure