Talktalks extra charge because BB not available in our area

Options
Because BB was not available in our postcode area when I signed up for Talktalk BB in April 2006, I pay £10 per month additional fee. Clearly BB is now via our local exchange. Are TT justified in continuing to charge me £10 per month? Should this charge have stopped as soon as our exchange was upgraded/enabled? Am I entitled to either stop paying this or request refund from the month the situation changed? ( I would not actually stop the Direct Debit because they would probably cut me off!)
Filiss

Comments

• Hungerdunger
    Options
    Are you getting confused between (i) Broadband not being available in your area, and (ii) Broadband not being available from Talk Talk in your area.

I don't quite understand it, but I'm in the same situation, where, if I chose to subscribe to Talk Talk I'd also have to pay the £10 charge. But we've had Broadband available on this exchange for some three years.
    "The trouble with quotations on the Internet is that you never know whether they are genuine" - Charles Dickens
  • SamCrawford_2
    Options
    I think the original poster may be referring to the fact that TalkTalk had not unbundled their exchange when they first joined (hence the £10 surcharge as TalkTalk would have to use BT's network). Now that TalkTalk have unbundled it, the £10 does charge does not apply to new customers. tly175 - have I got this right?

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of TalkTalk's contracts, but I suspect that seeing as you're finishing your initial 18 month period you could quite easily talk them into removing the £10 fee. I'd demonstrate to the CS person that new customers can have it for free, so why shouldn't you? Worst case scenario - cancel and sign up again.

Thanks,

Sam
  • TalkTalkBoy
    Options
    As you signed up to an 18 month contract at £10.00 talktalk would be within theyre rights to charge you this. If your exchange has been unbundled then talktalk should migrate you when there is enough capacity in the exchange to accomodate you. This can sometimes take a while. If you want to pm me your line number i can take a look at this a bit further and see if we can get an estimated date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure