Underground Calor LPG tank removal

I have had a ground source heat pump system installed for the past 3years having removed an old combi boiler. I have used the vast majority of the gas and now only use for a hob and want to move to bottled supply.

I am getting no sense from Calor, with several phone responses from a suspiciously rounded £1000 to dig up and uplift to a ‘ you’ll have to keep it’.

Any suggestions on any form of words i can use to get a result at least cost please???

Thanks Tim


  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I think that you probably need to start by reading Calor's Ts & Cs.

    I used to be with Calor and according to the copy that I still have, Section 14 refers to Below Ground Tanks. Clause 14.7 refers to there being a charge for tank removal.
  • snilloct1957
    Is going to be your forever home? I only ask because you are going to have add the cost of the tank removal and disposal to your heating costs. Someone who owns the house after you may want to use the tank instead. In the overall scheme if things, is it worth spending £1000 just to convert to bottled gas? What is the cost of the bottled gas compared to LPG? In a previous thread I found this info on a govt website:-

    Quote from the above website:- "In the vast majority of cases the tank will be owned by the company that supplies the gas, but if you are unsure then you should check this with your own supplier. In general, the supplier will look after the tank and its fittings (their integrity and maintenance) but again check this with your supplier if you are unsure, as legally it needs to be maintained in a safe condition."

    Your first port of call should be to Calorgas; they may still be responsible for the tank and any safety/maintenance issues it presents.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I can see why you might want to get rid of it if you still have to pay rental or service charges even though it may be empty.

    However if the tank belongs to Calor then I guess they would take a dim view of you just hoiking it out if it's actually their property. What happens if it gets damaged. They'd want it back so you'd have to arrange transport to where-ever it has to go and they may not allow that. You might find that £1000 could work out as pretty reasonable.

    I suppose you'll have to balance the cost of them taking it out if it's theirs against paying an annual charge.

    What are you going to do with the ginormous hole that's going to be left behind when it's gone? Garden pond, nuclear shelter perhaps??
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards