Plusnet BT Sport package - price doubled

in Phones & TV
11 replies 1.6K views
Hi all. Interested in feedback from Plusnet customers who pay for the BT Sport channel pack. Plusnet has announced it's doubling the price of this pack from £5 per month to £10 from 17 September.

I called Plusnet disconnections last night when I found out (email from Plusnet). The person I spoke to hadn't even been informed about this increase!

As I see it, this is a substantial increase to the Plusnet phone, broadband & TV package I signed up for (approx £40 per month to £45 per month, or a 12.5% rise). Although I'm only 3 months into an 18 month contract, I see this as grounds to cancel the full contract.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    cammyloon wrote: »
    Hi all. Interested in feedback from Plusnet customers who pay for the BT Sport channel pack. Plusnet has announced it's doubling the price of this pack from £5 per month to £10 from 17 September.

I called Plusnet disconnections last night when I found out (email from Plusnet). The person I spoke to hadn't even been informed about this increase!

As I see it, this is a substantial increase to the Plusnet phone, broadband & TV package I signed up for (approx £40 per month to £45 per month, or a 12.5% rise). Although I'm only 3 months into an 18 month contract, I see this as grounds to cancel the full contract.

And what did PN say about that?
  • edited 13 August 2019 at 12:35PM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 August 2019 at 12:35PM
    <I see this as grounds to cancel the full contract. >
    As its an add on it does not come under the Ofcom price increase rules as far as i understand them .

However its going to depend upon how you bought as Ofcom say (Pay TV will be included where it is part of a package, but not where it is sold on its own.)
    That means if you cancel a valid contract PN are likely to want the full amount paid .
    So be carefull if cancelling to avoid debt collectors and credit record trashed.
  • edited 13 August 2019 at 12:25PM
    pen1pen1 Forumite
    369 Posts
    edited 13 August 2019 at 12:25PM
    It isn't grounds to cancel anything other than the Channel Pack
    after one month:

Youview TV from Plusnet Service Terms
    2.1. Channel packs (except the Entertainment and BT Sport Lite channel packs which are provided as standard) are provided under a separate contract to the YouView service. .....

2.2 These additional channel packs have to be kept for at least one month. After this initial one month period, if you tell us in advance you may remove channel packs on your next billing date and won't be charged for the following month. Any credit or debit will be detailed on your bill.

10.3. If any of these changes are to your material disadvantage (even after we've offered replacement content or reduced your charges) you can cancel your service as set out in paragraph 18.3 of the Standard Terms. Where a change only affects an additional channel pack, that is not included as standard as part of the service, then you'll only be able to cancel that channel pack as set out in paragraph 18.3 of the Standard Terms.
    https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

Thus, your right to cancel extends only to the BT Sport Channel Pack, which
    will leave you with BT Sport Lite (BT Sport 1 & Extra1) on the Youview box as part of the base pack.

As a Plusnet customer affected by this change, my reaction is
    that I wouldn't expect a budget provider to be increasing
    a price in one instance by £5 per month.

They are, of course, wholly owned by BT, who have been increasing prices heavily for BT Sport across platforms.

Thus, I will be mindful at renewal time that Plusnet not only
    can do this to their prices, but have done so.
  • Thanks for feedback.

PN agent I spoke to was unaware of the situation and speaking off the cuff. Their desire was to be helpful, and find ways to offset the increase. But they didn't know technically how to do it at that time. So I said I'd return.

PN may lay down the T&Cs and claim this cost falls outwith price protection. If they refuse to budge and there's nothing I can do about it, then they will have lost all my goodwill come renewal time - plus I'm sure that of their other customers with the BT Sport pack.

But I'd also be prepared to argue that I renewed with PN in order to receive not a set of individual components but a complete package including BT Sport, and after having compared against equivalent bundles offered by BT, Sky and (most of all) Virgin.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot is going to depend upon wanting BT Sports or not .
    Those that want it can compare prices against Sky Sports and also see who can supply BT Sport cheaper .
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was definitely offered a package price for u/l standard broadband inc BT Sports app. at contract renewal - this increase represents well over 50% increase in the mnthly sub. Cannot believe that they are going to get away without offering penalty free cancellation of contracts:mad:
  • :money:I too have been affected by the PlusNet BT Sport price increase. I have a 24 month fixed price contract with PN and they have increased my £2.50 month for BT Sport to £7.50 a month. That is a 200% increase. If I look at my email contract from PlusNet, it states the following:

Thank you for ordering YouView TV from Plusnet.
    You have ordered the YouView set top box with the Entertainment channel pack.
    The estimated number of Freeview channels you should be able to receive is 106
    The package costs are outlined below.
    YouView TV:£2.50 after contract £5
    bt sport £2.50 after contract £5
    The contract is for 24 months. If you choose to cancel early an early termination fee will apply."

I infer therefore that the BT Sport package is in the 24 month contract and after contract I should then be paying £5. Cant see how I have read that incorrectly
  • Thanks Martin 100.

Interestingly, I've rechecked the email/ticket I received confirming my new contract. It lists the component parts, including YouView, BT Sport and HD channel packs. It then adds these together with a final line: "Total £40.50 per month for 18 months on a new 18 month fixed price contract".

From that I also infer that the prices of my BT Sport and HD channel packs are fixed as part of the 18 month fixed price contract. Will push that with Plusnet.
  • pen1pen1 Forumite
    369 Posts
    Also worth noting, perhaps, that BT Sport have a number
    of rights losses in the pipeline- WTA tennis from January 2020;
    Scottish Premiership from 2020/21;
    Scottish League Cup (Betfred Cup) from 2020/21;
    FA Cup from 2021/22.

They point to an additional 10 Premier League matches from
    this season (to 52 matches). However, 15 of these are from
    2 midweek rounds and will therefore include some
    simultaneous/overlapping matches.

They have also acquired rights to WWE from January 2020.
  • poppasmurf_bewdleypoppasmurf_bewdley Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too had the Plusnet email about doubling the cost. I rang yesterday, and the lady said she's been inundated with cancellation calls. I cancelled after sorting out the following.

I have a Plusnet broadband setup which I pay for at my sons house, and a BT broadband setup at my own home.

I signed up to BT TV's Max 4K Sport 4K package for £20pm, which gives me all BT TV premium channels plus BT Sport in 4K plus a new UHD box and re-contracts my good broadband deal for a further 24 months. I can now cancel the NowTV Entertainment package saving £7.99 a month. My son can still watch BT Sport on the BT TV App at his place.

So I'm still paying BT Sport at £10pm, but after deducting the NowTV sub, I'm getting all the Premium Channels for £2.01. And I get a brand new box into the bargain.

And I've still got the free Google Home and spent the £50 prepaid card I got when I renewed my broadband deal in May.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides