Watch battery -no refund

New Post Advanced Search

Watch battery -no refund

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
18 replies 1.5K views
StorytellerStoryteller Forumite
1 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Market stall put new battery in watch - cost £10. Given guarantee for 3 years. Watch stops working within 10 hours. Shop refuse refund as battery ok - watch not ok. Surely they should not have put battery in if watch not working. Can I get a refund.

Replies

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Market stall put new battery in watch - cost £10. Given guarantee for 3 years. Watch stops working within 10 hours. Shop refuse refund as battery ok - watch not ok. Surely they should not have put battery in if watch not working. Can I get a refund.
    But the watch was working for up to 10 hours, so how would they have known it was broken (it obviously wasn't when they fitted the battery)?

I don't fancy your chances unless you can show that they've fitted the wrong type of battery, or that the battery is faulty or that they damaged the watch whilst changing the battery. Is it possible you knocked the watch sometime afterwards and the timing is a coincidence?
  • NCC-1701NCC-1701 Forumite
    530 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    OP is a Storyteller indeed!
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely they should not have put battery in if watch not working.
    Although they deal in timepieces, they can't see into the future.

And if they can, they shouldn't have achieved more than running a market stall.
  • London50London50 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people bother paying good money for others to replace a watch battery {unless it is a "high end one}. In the last 20/25 years I have replaced my watch battery many times at no cost other than the battery bought from either pound shops for cheap watches or Amazon for better quality ones.
    It takes a few seconds to do and I have never had a problem with a D.I.Y. replacement
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so your watch pulls more current than it should.
    How will the market trader know that if it does seem to work initially?

The battery was fitted and the guarantee is on the battery - which worked fine. Your watch just flattened it due to being faulty.

So, no - you can’t.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

The battery was fitted and the guarantee is on the battery - which worked fine. Your watch just flattened it due to being faulty.

So, no - you can’t.

It may have done. Or it may be the battery they fitted was next to useless. The OP (presumably) only has the trader's word that the battery is still OK?

Not quite as drastic but I bought a jumbo card containing dozens of watch and other small sized batteries. Seemed a bargain! Any I tried worked fine for a week or two, maybe a month at best. The same watch with a decent battery worked for a couple of years.

So the OP may have experienced similar. Getting something done about it however may be another matter.....
  • SpankSpank Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

So, no - you can’t.

The battery isn't flat, in the OP he says they said the new battery is OK
  • owen_moneyowen_money Forumite
    764 posts
    ✭✭✭
    In my town a shop has a sign in the window that says 'Watch batteries fitted'. Why anyone would want to watch batteries being fitted is beyond me!
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably bought a job lot from e bay. And not everyone has the tools to take the back off
  • London50London50 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    You can take the back off many watches with a craft blade or buy a remover for under £3 online