RyanAir Potential Strike Affects Me, what are my options?

Hello,

Due to fly out with Ryanair on the 22nd August to Spain from Manchester returning on the 26th and now we've been hit with the news that they could strike.

I have found a one way flight from the same airport at a similar time for £88 now and was thinking of purchasing these as an insurance if they do go on strike and we are unable to board the ryanair flight.

I'm thinking nearer the time if they do strike, these prices could fivefold.

In the event, would i be able to claim the cost of this flight back or not as it was booked before the notice of strike?

I believe an option would be for them to refund me the cost of the flight but would only want the outbound flight refunded.

If i didn't book this alternative flight and waited to see if the strike happened and at the time couldn't get any alternative, would ryanair refund me for the cost of the flights and the hotel?
I booked through loveholidays who have said id have to go through the airline as technically the hotel can still offer their service.

Thanks

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ryanair have not cancelled your flight yet so if you book these tickets and you fly with Ryaniar you will lose the money. If they do cancel they have to reroute you at their expense. If they don't you can re-route yourselves and they would be liable for the new tickets.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    And if they give you less than 14 days notice, then you will probably be due compensation as well as re-routing costs.
    It'll be a hard fight though. We're here to help.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • hotlymet
    hotlymet Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ryanair have not cancelled your flight yet so if you book these tickets and you fly with Ryaniar you will lose the money. If they do cancel they have to reroute you at their expense. If they don't you can re-route yourselves and they would be liable for the new tickets.

Thanks for your information,

It's a catch 22! I am thinking of booking now as i believe the tickets will go up alot if the do announce a strike, i'd rather pay the low cost now and not use the ticket than a higher cost closer to the time, if they are even still available then.

If i re-route myself on a ticket that i already bought in anticipation of the strike, will they reimburse me for that?
  • Justice13075
    No, because if your flight is cancelled Ryanair have to reroute you and if that costs them more they have to pay not you.
  • hotlymet
    I've settled for paying for another flight from a nearby airport for £60. The last thing that i want on the day is to be waiting around an airport for hours and potentially not getting a flight or having to pay over the odds for a flight to wait weeks or months to be reimbursed.

Thanks both!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If RA cancel, you take the alternative flight and don't rebook with RA, make sure your retrun flight is still valid!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • hotlymet
    I've spoken with RA live chat today and print screened it saying that the return flight is valid.

11:04
    Ok, another question in a different way. If i cannot get on my outbound flight due to a cancellation and i make my own way to the destination, will i be able to get on my return flight home that i've paid for with ryanair
    11:06
    Of course. If you do not use the outbound part of your reservation, you will still be able to use the return. You do not need to notify us; we will not resell/cancel your return ticket. There is no fee for not turning up for your flight.
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    I'm not convinced that you asked the right question. You said " due to a cancellation". J Pears was warning you that if the flight is NOT cancelled and you decide to take the alternative outbound flight you have booked RA might cancel your return flight.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ryanair sells single flights not return, so not using the outbound flight will not result in the cancellation of the return. This isn't British Airways!
  • Justice13075
    edited 9 August 2019 at 11:51AM
    From Ryanair. They do sell returns

All Ryanair flights are changeable but they cannot be cancelled. ... You don't need to notify us if you are unable to travel and if you can't use your outbound flight, you can still use your return flight.

Ryanair only sells one-ways or RETURNS so the only case is missing your first flight and still wanting to take the return. ... So yes, if you miss the first flight you can still take the return flight and no, there is no sequential use of flight coupons rule.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure