John Lewis have changed their mind on price match

Hello :)
I had a price match request approved a week or so ago by John Lewis, on an item from Dunelm that I hadn't yet bought. Because they said yes they would refund the difference, I went ahead and bought the item from John Lewis. It was delivered yesterday and I was happy with it so I sent them all the info they requested.
I then received an email to say they were sorry but they had approved the price match in error, because the item was already out of stock at Dunelm when I submitted the request. I had sent them all the info they required including a direct link to the item on the Dunelm website.
So my question is, as they had already said YES they would match the price and that is the only reason I bought it from them, should they honour it? If they had said no outright, or if I'd bought the item before requesting a price match I wouldn't be arguing this, but it was 100% their error so surely they should deal with it.
Thanks
«1

Comments

  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    GemmaFir wrote: »
    Hello :)
    I had a price match request approved a week or so ago by John Lewis, on an item from Dunelm that I hadn't yet bought. Because they said yes they would refund the difference, I went ahead and bought the item from John Lewis. It was delivered yesterday and I was happy with it so I sent them all the info they requested.
    I then received an email to say they were sorry but they had approved the price match in error, because the item was already out of stock at Dunelm when I submitted the request. I had sent them all the info they required including a direct link to the item on the Dunelm website.
    So my question is, as they had already said YES they would match the price and that is the only reason I bought it from them, should they honour it? If they had said no outright, or if I'd bought the item before requesting a price match I wouldn't be arguing this, but it was 100% their error so surely they should deal with it.
    Thanks

    The last time I did a John Lewis price match, I had to purchase the item through JL and they refunded me the difference. I did, however buy it at the time of them saying yes.
    If it is now OOS at dunelm, they won’t price match now as they only price match at the time of purchase as offers and stock changes regularly.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GemmaFir
    GemmaFir Posts: 8 Forumite
    The price match email said it was valid for 28 days x
  • GemmaFir
    GemmaFir Posts: 8 Forumite
    And I think I did order the same day...
  • GemmaFir
    GemmaFir Posts: 8 Forumite
    Anyway, the point is they are saying the price match which they approved at the time, shouldnt have ever been approved as they made a mistake. But that's not my fault.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2019 at 5:26AM
    GemmaFir wrote: »
    The price match email said it was valid for 28 days x
    GemmaFir wrote: »
    And I think I did order the same day...
    GemmaFir wrote: »
    Anyway, the point is they are saying the price match which they approved at the time, shouldnt have ever been approved as they made a mistake. But that's not my fault.


    Mistakes happen. If they are saying it was granted in error then it was granted in error. I dont understand what JL have done wrong if the item was OOS on Dunelms website?

    It does clearly state that the item must be in stock :

    Stock availability:

    We carry a wide range of products, and for us to match the price, our competitor must have the product in stock (rather than available only to order). For products that we deliver, we ask that the competitor is able to deliver in equivalent timescales to us.


    Have you called the Price Match team ? tel:03456049049
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GemmaFir
    GemmaFir Posts: 8 Forumite
    I understand what you are saying, but my issue is not with their price match guarantee, it is that I ONLY purchased the item from JL because they said I could have it for a certain price, then they changed their mind AFTER I'd purchased it.
    They said I could have an item from them for £99. Afterwards they said that actually I would have to pay £100 more.
    If you give a quote, in writing, for an item, you surely can't then double the price after a customer has already received the item, error or not?
    If I misquoted a customer a price for something, in writing, and they then decided to purchase that item from me because of the price I had offered, I couldn't then turn around and double the price. I'd have to honour the price we had agreed on.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think the Price Match scheme is at JL discretion essentially rather than subject to standard 'rules' on pricing.

    I don't think they are actually changing the price for you, they are giving you an amount back after the event.

    You always have the option to return the item.

    I can quite see how the Price Match shouldn't apply if the item isn't actually available to buy elsewhere.

    Why didn't you just buy from elsewhere if you were planning in advance rather than have to go through this complication? Was it out of stock already?
  • GemmaFir
    GemmaFir Posts: 8 Forumite
    Yes the item was apparently out of stock, that is the whole point. However it was not showing as out of stock on the Dunelm website and still allowed me to add it to my cart. It is actually still not showing as out of stock on the website.
    I didn't buy it immediately from Dunelm as the only item I have ever ordered from there arrived damaged and was a faff to return, whereas I know that JL have a good reputation for customer service. I always shop around when buying pricey items so of course if two companies offer the same price for an item I will go with the one with the best reputation. It took about 10 minutes for the price match to come through so it's not like I had to wait. The wording of the email was that 'we' ve checked with Dunelm and can see that [the item, item number, colour etc] is priced at £99.5, so we're happy to match this price', which states that they will sell me the item for that price. I am aware that its at their discretion but it is pretty clear that they have agreed to match the price. I obviously wouldn't have 'gone through this complication' if I had known it would be a 'complication' in the first place.
    I do have the option to return, however it weighs 20kg odd which means JL will charge me £29.95 for collection, as it is not faulty. Which would be worth it if I could find it for cheaper elsewhere, but I can't now because it has sold out at Dunelm!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    GemmaFir wrote: »
    Yes the item was apparently out of stock, that is the whole point. However it was not showing as out of stock on the Dunelm website and still allowed me to add it to my cart. It is actually still not showing as out of stock on the website.
    I didn't buy it immediately from Dunelm as the only item I have ever ordered from there arrived damaged and was a faff to return, whereas I know that JL have a good reputation for customer service. I always shop around when buying pricey items so of course if two companies offer the same price for an item I will go with the one with the best reputation. It took about 10 minutes for the price match to come through so it's not like I had to wait. The wording of the email was that 'we' ve checked with Dunelm and can see that [the item, item number, colour etc] is priced at £99.5, so we're happy to match this price', which states that they will sell me the item for that price. I am aware that its at their discretion but it is pretty clear that they have agreed to match the price. I obviously wouldn't have 'gone through this complication' if I had known it would be a 'complication' in the first place.
    I do have the option to return, however it weighs 20kg odd which means JL will charge me £29.95 for collection, as it is not faulty. Which would be worth it if I could find it for cheaper elsewhere, but I can't now because it has sold out at Dunelm!

    First you say you can add it to your basket and at the end you say its OOS ?

    Have you called JL price match team ?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Actually as of right now I cannot add it to the basket ����!♀️

    But as I said, it was not showing as out of stock and allowed me to add it to my basket.

    It is out of stock at Dunelm.

    I'm not contradicting myself.

    I have spoken to the price match team. I thought is explained this originally but I hadn't, the error in the price match was BECAUSE the Dunelm website allowed customers to add the item to their basket, so JL were unaware it was out of STOCK at the time (as was I). But it apparently was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards