CBT with no experience ?

Options
November2
November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
My Nephew wants to do his CBT bike training however he has never been on a motorbike before just a pushbike, he seems to think it'll be easy and needs no previous experience.

Anyone else done the training, is it possible just to get on a bike and ride it?

Comments

• SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    I did it years ago when it was first introduced. Originally you only needed to do it to take your test and could legally ride without any training. I had only ever ridden a bike with a clutch and gears once a number of years before.

Others had no experience, from memory everyone passed after a day the standards aren't that high. Start, stop an emergency stop and a short ride on the road was all they really covered.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 August 2019 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Isn't the whole point of CBT bike training to prepare you for getting on a motorbike and riding it for the first time?

Every motorcyclist once got on and rode a bike for the first time.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Belenus wrote: »
    Isn't the whole point of CBT bike training to prepare you for getting on a motorbike and riding it for the first time?

Every motorcyclist once got on and rode a bike for the first time.
    ^This.

The CBT is a training course, not a test. It's designed to for complete novices in mind as well as those with experience.

https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I did it years ago. Dreamt of riding a motorbike as a kid.

First time on a motorcycle, didn't pass it and was recommended I go buy and pushbike and learn to ride it.

Second time I attended, I rode my pushbike from my house to the centre, about 7 miles away, got on a scooter (I had given up on the idea of a motorbike for the moment), going round the track during the training, came off the scooter, hand still on the throttle and screwed my ankle up, got back on the scooter and carried on, went out on the roads and had a great time. Got back to the centre and was told I had successfully completed my CBT, all the instructors had tears in their eyes as they knew how determined much of a young lady I was.

Limped to my the car and got my pushbike in it (was getting a lift after), went to reverse and stalled my car, much to the amusement of the instructors!

The following day I started learning to ride my own 125 scooter, which had a footbrake, and started to ride locally. Sadly, some !!!!!!!! drivers put me off riding and it was stolen a few months later from outside my house.

Even now, I long to re-do my CBT, pass my test, and get a lovely Harley Sportster :D

But yes, you do have several hours of training, get your CBT and off you pop, you are then able to ride upto a 125 (depending on age), continuing to learn and improve on what you were taught. Either carry on doing a CBT and riding on L's, or take your motorcycle test.

Owning a car is a luxury, owning a small bike is achievable and gives independence.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Done my CBT at 35. Had a few shots of a Honda C90 when 17, so still considered myself a novice.
    The C90 was a semi auto, different from the CBT bike.

I'm sure not all CBT trainers are equal, but if the instructors are good, it shouldn't be an issue.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Even now, I long to re-do my CBT, pass my test, and get a lovely Harley Sportster :D

I've had 2. They weigh slightly more than an adult elephant and are a complete pain to wheel about. You also need to spend big money to make them comfortable to ride.
    And they disintegrate if they get wet (or even slightly damp).:eek:

Never chase your dreams- you will be disappointed ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    November2 wrote: »
    Is it possible just to get on a bike and ride it?

You don't just get on a bike and ride it. You are taught how to ride it. Most of the students turning up for their CBT course have no previous experience. Everyone has to sit a a bike for the first time and that is the schools job - to take them from novice to a basic level of safe riding.

If you wanted to you can go from having never ridden a bike to obtaining a full bike license within a week.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My SD did it with no road experience at all. The instructor wasn't fully happy after a day and she went back the next day to complete it, so they won't just pass you if they're not happy you are safe.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    I've had 2. They weigh slightly more than an adult elephant and are a complete pain to wheel about. You also need to spend big money to make them comfortable to ride.

Never chase your dreams- you will be disappointed ;)

Health doesn't allow me to ride, even if I got my confidence back. A girl has to have dreams! But I stick to cars instead and am toying with what to get next :D
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure