We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SVS Securities - shut down?

Options

Comments

• manorhouse
    manorhouse Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I see the piece i copied from New Yorker has been removed !
    Not sure what was wrong with that johnburman seemed to enjoy reading it ?
    Good to see masonic is saying he is not splitting into 85K chunks .
    I am going to find that difficult as i would need more then Ten .
    So thanks for throwing up Freetrade and Trading 212 . 
    Others personal experiences are very useful .
    More ideas the merry as far as i am concerned , i had never heard of the one we are headed for so there must be more out there.
  • My2penneth
    My2penneth Posts: 807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 May 2020 at 8:44PM
    Options
    Originally  ( many pages back!) I suggested 10% costs...14% is taking the biscuit!  

(15th August 2019...page 25).
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,656 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2020 at 8:50PM
    Options
    Not sure what was wrong with that johnburman seemed to enjoy reading it ?
    You shouldn't copy a whole article and paste it here. MSE could get sued for copyright infringement so they have to remove such posts. A short excerpt and a link to the story is ok. See the Q&A "What are the rules on copyright?" here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs/#accordion-content-01363627502-12

• juliamarsh
    juliamarsh Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The level of costs gave me quite a shock (even though they are covered by the FSCS) until I realised that it is a fixed fee of £10626.50 for everybody, unless the value of your assets is less than this in which case it is capped at the actual value of your assets.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2020 at 11:55AM
    Options
    The level of costs gave me quite a shock (even though they are covered by the FSCS) until I realised that it is a fixed fee of £10626.50 for everybody, unless the value of your assets is less than this in which case it is capped at the actual value of your assets.
    Ooops!  Forget the 14%!

Because I knew that FSCS was picking-up the bill for the administration, I haven't been paying attention to how the costs would be apportioned - from the way the Client Statement presents the costs "calculation", I'd assumed that "my" costs were based on the value of my assets displayed in that calculation.  If it weren't for FSCS, some of the smaller clients of SVS would have lost everything! 

So on the basis of 20,000 SVS clients (19,200 unique clients) at £10k each, the LC bill wil be:
    How much??  I don't believe it!!!!
  • manorhouse
    manorhouse Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The wrong doing had nothing to do with the share dealing accounts but other stuff these mangers where involved in .
    Is there any punishment for the former directors or others involved ?
    Looks like the cost although high was more the seven times less then the 85K  protection .
    Are there comparisons to Beaufort and others to cost per client  ect 
  • johnburman
    johnburman Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All
    Two things for almost all XO clients:
    a)  the costs of LC and the administration are crazy mad high high; but
    b)  who cares as the FSCS is picking up the tab.

Now for the (very) few for whom the FSCS is not picking up the tab - mainly large companies or those with huge cash accounts they have problems
    LEARNING POINT
    If you use a (registered UK) broker and have under £85k in cash and assets your will be protected by the FSCS
    If >£85k, you will only be protected if your 'losses' are to a MAX of £85k  (and there has been a debate here on whether losses includes the administrators fees). thsi means tha tthe client segregation rules - the FCA CASS Rules - are crucial.

This will influence which broker or group of brokers I will use in the future.  The simple streightforward ones offering transparent charging, with no "platform fees" will get my business

• gollum007
    gollum007 Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wmb194 said:
    I've been experimenting with Freetrade a bit and it seems much better than Trading212. Its stock selection is a little limited but it's okay for most (all?) FTSE350 companies including the more popular investment trusts and it executes trades at the prevailing best price. It's currently crowdsourcing and as I type has raised £6.5m so it should be around for a little longer. I haven't signed up to Crowdcube so cannot see what it claims its business case is.
    https://www.crowdcube.com/companies/freetrade/pitches/bvP4rl

I'm using Freetrade with a small-mid sized IT porfolio. (Some other odds and sods, but nothing too major)

Personally, I wouldn't put anything over the FCS limit in there, and would keep a close eye on developments- They're still IMHO in the burning money stage of growth, with no decent revenue streams yet online.
    The crowdfunding pitch is essentially focused around future plans (the Plus / Alpha sub, pensions etc.) which they hope will gain them revenue, along with interest from uninvested cash plus the +0.45% on the FX spot rate.

I can't see them going anywhere any time soon (too early in the crowdfunding / VC journey), but in 4-5 years I would expect either a sellout or drastic changes.
  • masonic
    edited 19 May 2020 at 12:27PM
    Options
    pafpcg said:
    Ooops!  Forget the 14%!

Because I knew that FSCS was picking-up the bill for the administration, I haven't been paying attention to how the costs would be apportioned - from the way the Client Statement presents the costs "calculation", I'd assumed that "my" costs were based on the value of my assets displayed in that calculation.  If it weren't for FSCS, some of the smaller clients of SVS would have lost everything! 

So on the basis of 20,000 SVS clients (19,200 unique clients) at £10k each, the LC bill wil be:
    How much??  I don't believe it!!!!
    The costs have been (so far):
    ~£400k in pre-administration costs (including fees related to applying for the administration)
    ~£4.7m in costs from 5th August to 4th February
    I'd guess costs from 4th February to date wouldn't exceed another £2.5m
    So perhaps £8.5m in total once the next couple of months are factored in.

The reason that the cost per client isn't the total cost divided by the number of clients (i.e. about £450 each) is that many of those clients wouldn't have had a significant sum of money invested. My account balance at the date of the administration was exactly zero - there must be many others like me, as well as many with just a few quid, some with a few hundred and others with a few thousand. None of these will be charged the full £10k and some will be charged nothing.

Regarding assets under management, there was £24.9m in client money and £278m in client assets, so over £300m in total. That means the costs would equate to about 3% of assets under management, not 14%.
  • masonic
    edited 19 May 2020 at 12:36PM
    Options
    LEARNING POINT
    If you use a (registered UK) broker and have under £85k in cash and assets your will be protected by the FSCS
    If >£85k, you will only be protected if your 'losses' are to a MAX of £85k  (and there has been a debate here on whether losses includes the administrators fees). thsi means tha tthe client segregation rules - the FCA CASS Rules - are crucial.  
    A minor point, but you will be protected even if your losses are above £85k. The FSCS still pays out on claims above £85k, they just limit the payout to £85k, so lose £100k and you'll get £85k compensation, not £0.

Also, losses do include administrators' fees, this is established in law. Administrators' fees can only be charged against assets held in the company in administration, so if the fees are greater than the assets held in the company, you cannot be billed for the difference. If, after the administrators complete their investigations, none of your assets are actually held by the company (for example they have been stolen by the directors), you cannot be charged anything towards the costs of the administration.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure