Cashplus dollar travel card

Options
Kcbuss
Kcbuss Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 31 July 2019 at 5:45PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi has anyone had any experience of using the cashplus prepaid dollar card in the usa ? I took out this card to pre load my spending money before I left the uk. The advertising on their website stated that there are no additional charges to use the card in the usa for purchases and spending. I found this to be true a purchase of $12 removed $12 from my balance, however I was also told that atm cash withdrawals in the usa would be fee free except if the machine charged a fee for using it which you need to agree to like in the UK. On two occasions I withdrew $100 dollars from two different atm machines which said there was a charge of $3 to use it so it would cost me $103 which I agreed to onscreen. The machines then issued me with $100 cash. However on checking my balance on the app on my phone I had extra large charges added on top. The first one took $114 dollars plus the $3 machine charge plus a$3.34 foreign transaction fee even though it was a dollar account . So I had unexpected charges of $17.34 taken on top. The second withdrawal was similar with an extra $14.34 dollars taken . On returning to the uk I called cashplus and they state they did not charge the extra amounts it was the usa bank ? All they can offer is to raise a dispute with the usa bank for the extra charges. I explained that they promised cash atm withdrawals within the usa were fee free but they are now saying this may not be the case and they cant explain why and because of this I have paid an extra $31.68 in fees from my holiday money which would have been a lot more if i hadn't noticed and stopped using the card for cash withdrawals. It in my view is false advertising as I would not have used this card without that assurance . Has anyone else had this experience? As a footnote my husband used his prepaid sterling revolut card for atm withdrawal from the same machine and only paid the $3 machine transaction fee so it is clearly the cashplus card that has extra fees ?

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Was a bit dopey to take a Cashplus card. What were you thinking?
    A product that doesn't even show you it's exchange rates unless you open an account.

Of course it's down to them. How can a US bank levy "foreign transaction fees" on an ATM withdrawal?
    Do you still have the receipts from the ATM or did you discard them?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did the ATM show an exchange rate for pounds on-screen, and you accepted it?

If so, you paid Cashplus the fee to change your dollars to pounds, then suffered the ATM's adverse exchange rate to change back to dollars.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Did the ATM show an exchange rate for pounds on-screen, and you accepted it?

If so, you paid Cashplus the fee to change your dollars to pounds, then suffered the ATM's adverse exchange rate to change back to dollars.

It sounds like this. Perhaps Cashplus explained that the OP was a victim of DCC, but the OP didnot understand the explanation.

The only reason why I did not suggest this, is because the husband did not have the same issue.
    So either he was not presented with DCC or he made the right choice in rejecting it. But in that case one would think that he would warn his wife.

But DCC would certainly explain the horrid charges.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also considered husband's 'prepaid sterling revolut card', which could mean that he only had a GBP balance. This could then have been converted by the ATM to dollars, or by Revolut if DCC was declined.

Cashplus staff could well be ignorant of DCC and unable to guess what happened.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    I also considered husband's 'prepaid sterling revolut card', which could mean that he only had a GBP balance. This could then have been converted by the ATM to dollars, or by Revolut if DCC was declined.

Cashplus staff could well be ignorant of DCC and unable to guess what happened.

Makes sense..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport