EE Broadband & Changing Address Scam

I'm mega furious today. I'm moving house and have 4 months from 18 months left on my contract with EE Broadband. No big deal, was planning on running it down and then moving to Virgin Media as its better in the location (I know they ain't saints themselves)

It turns out that if you change the address for your home broadband, you need to take our a new 18 month contract. Tried and failed to argue my point on the EE community, but its policed by a load of EE fanboys who reiterate this policy and make out like EE is some sort of Utopian network.

I have been a mobile customer of Orange/EE for over 11 years but recently, the service has gone downhill and now with this scam - I'll move that too. (I'll be back in a few months to get recommendations!)

I just want to share this experience with other people, I have left a negative review on their TrustPilot, but its pointless as they really don't appear to care. Honestly, genuinely furious. In any business that I worked for, resolving customer complaints was top priority.

Be careful of this clause if you intend to move. For me, I'm going to be giving them 4 months money for free. Unless I sit outside my old house in the car on a laptop :(

Comments

• Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    YET - Another SCAM post from a new poster. WOW.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Hi Exemplar, apologies for breaking the forum rules. I never usually complain about much in life, especially on web forums.

I just felt I needed to tell the world about this awful experience that I have had with them. But I appreciate many of these telephone, television and broadband providers have the same lack of respect for their customers and I did not mean to offend you, or anyone other than EE!

And this is such a disappointing, alien experience to me as I've always worked for organisations who pride themselves on a customer-centric experience one of their key focuses. Sorry.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just leave the 4 months to run, a pain I know, and get VM installed as soon as you move to your new address.
  • Hi Jim, thanks for your response.

Yea going to do that, the only solution here. I have found the MSE resolver tool which looks quite helpful and so gave that a go as well.

I got banned from their EE community forum for telling my story, obviously they are quite keen to suppress the truth to any would be customers.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So that you know, your contract that you agreed to is for supply of services to your existing address. You are breaking the terms by moving and doing so makes the supplier incur charges beyond what they would pay for a normal customer over that time. No matter how "customer-centric" they might wish to be, in this day an age where everyone flits from supplier to supplier, it is no surprise that they are unwilling to just absorb these extra costs that you are causing by your disregard for the contract you agreed to.

Hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson, that chasing "deals" by locking in to an extended minimum term has potential drawbacks. If you had only let your previous contract roll over onto monthly when the minimum term expired you wouldn't be facing this problem of your own making.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just leave the 4 months to run, a pain I know, and get VM installed as soon as you move to your new address.

Don`t. Tell EE you`re moving house and to disconnect services, otherwise this is going to pop up when the new occupiers try to get services installed.
  • I wasn’t chasing a deal, it worked out more expensive than some of the others including BT themselves but I trusted EE due to the long-standing contract I had with them on my mobile, where I’ve been a customer for over 11 years since the days of Orange. I still believe it’s wrong for any company regardless of size, to treat loyal customers the way they do. I work for a company who get reviewed well, even though our products don’t always meet ours or our customers standard of care expectation and yet due to the resolution and listening skills of the team that deal with those issues, we review very highly. That makes me proud of them to be really honest with you.

But in that, it shows there is a gap in the mobile and communications sector for a customer centric brand to step forward and learn from the many mistakes of the current crop.

I used the complaints escalation tool offered by MSE and it’s helped me to reason with them and cancel the contract, so I’m really grateful for the help received from the team here.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EEcowboys wrote: »
    I still believe it’s wrong for any company regardless of size, to treat loyal customers the way they do.
    How has EE mistreated you? You agreed to an eighteen month minimum term contract for EE to supply broadband to your current address, not to your current address plus any addresses you might reside at during the lifetime of the contract.

All EE has said is that, if you want it to supply broadband to a new address, then you need to agree to a new contract.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    In supplying the BB to your new house EE, or any other suppliuer, will incur costs. Isnt it reasonable for them to want you to stay for a sufficient time to justify them doing the wor?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure