Mortgage + Additional credit - Is it possible

I am in the process of buying a new build which should be complete by Dec 2019.

I shall be completing my mortgage application in Sept/Oct.

Myself and my husband are buying a property for £350k putting down a deposit of £120k and taking a mortgage for £230k. (combined salary of myself and hubby = £44k per annum)

Once we get keys for the property we will be looking to furnish the property and hopefully get most of the products ie, Beds, TV, Furniture etc on the 0% for x months deals that the retailers offer. Estimating total for goods to be approx £15k

*** My concern is I don't know if it is wise to go thru several 0% finance applications with different retailers (whom I believe most actual use the same finance company) ?
*** Secondly can I gauge how much I may be able to get on 0% finance prior to going thru the applications and selecting the products?
*** Thirdly would you say this is okay to do would you recommend something better?

Any help is very much appreciated
Email

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I would recommend saving up a bit and buying some used furniture but new bed/mattress and white goods.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,920 Forumite
    Or have a larger mortgage, smaller deposit and use the difference to buy what you need.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • A £230k mortgage on £44k income is very hopeful. Thats over 5 times your salary.

Are you sure these numbers are adding up? Have you spoken to a mortgage broker yet?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Source some secondhand items to furnish the property. Interest free isn't free in reality. Items are simply marked up to compensate.
  • LRmortgage
    LRmortgage Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As JMA says, have you spoken to a broker? I think you’ll struggle to get that size mortgage on the income stated.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • scholesfan88
    scholesfan88 Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Who is your AIP with?

As others have said, the mortgage size vs salary is high.

Do you have any existing credit, loans etc?

What about furniture you already own? Can you not gradually replace over time?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    15k for furniture, expensive taste. As others have said, no new credit until completion unless you want to risk withdrawal of the offer, assuming you can get an offer with those numbers
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Fab10
    Fab10 Posts: 17 Forumite
    A £230k mortgage on £44k income is very hopeful. Thats over 5 times your salary.

Are you sure these numbers are adding up? Have you spoken to a mortgage broker yet?

Numbers are fine and I have it in writing from the appropriate bank, infact option was to get a larger amount from a different bank but then fees and interest rates would increase
    Email
  • Fab10
    Who is your AIP with?

As others have said, the mortgage size vs salary is high.

Do you have any existing credit, loans etc?

What about furniture you already own? Can you not gradually replace over time?

No loans, No credit card balances as always pay in full and in advance of billing being produced.
    Email
  • Fab10
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    15k for furniture, expensive taste. As others have said, no new credit until completion unless you want to risk withdrawal of the offer, assuming you can get an offer with those numbers

Okay I definetly plan on waiting until have keys to property then gradually get required items
    Email
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport