Here we go Lupus Lou....

Lupus_Lou
Lupus_Lou Posts: 254 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 31 July 2019 at 10:51PM in Debt free diaries
Our debts have fallen by approx £7k over recent months without any effort, just by making regular monthly payments on our mortgage and secured loan, however that 2% fall is not enough, we need to up our game.
Husband isn't really worried about debts to the degree that I am, he believes debts and credit cards are necessary if not desirable.
We have a good income but that hides £60k debt across credit cards and repayments of £1430 per month, as well as £2300 on the mortgage and secured loan.
I am thinking of doing a SOA but decided to monitor our spending for a month to see just where the money is going.
I have already made a few money saving changes
-scrapped WW subscription, I have lost 21lb and put on 18lb over the 2 year duration of my £21.50 monthly subscription
-cancelled my £22.50 monthly DD to the national lottery
- switched to metered charges on the water bills, looks like we're saving around £110 per year
- renewed the BT contract and paying £12 less each month

I need to do some work on our gas/ electricity supplier and check our monthly outgoings to look for other "shavings".
I am also not averse to cooking and think there's a money saving food board on here so will look for that and see what I can save on food expenditure.
I also need to cut down my weekly spend on wine, currently in the region of £50-60 :eek:

In the meantime, any advice or support would be appreciated.

Lou

SOA on page 2
I used to be broke now I'm just skint

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Lupus_Lou wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing a SOA BUT decided to monitor our spending for a month to see just where the money is going.
    It is good that you have realised there is a problem with your budget and spending patterns. Just make sure you log every single expense (including coffee in a coffee shop or the odd chocolate bar and definitely the occasional bottle of wine). I started a spending diary where everything was logged. That made it easy to complete the SOA. Also, I suggest checking bank and credit card statement too (for the previous year) as this will help identify other additional SOA costs that need to be accounted for.

Oh yeah, and another place where funds are often leaked are on mobile phone contracts. It is much cheaper to be SIM-only than paying for a contract handset. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Happy new diary!
  • Lupus_Lou
    I have been looking through some other diaries and pinching ideas.

Rule #1 I leave my purse at work.
    I am only 10 mins drive from work so if anything urgent comes up all I would need to do is phone OH to drop it in.

Rule #2 packed lunches all the way.
    No more nipping out at lunchtime and buying a sandwich or salad, not possible anyway if the purse is at home.

Rule #3 Draft a weekly meal plan with input from the family
    OH is retired and is more than happy to cook the evening meal, as long as I tell him what to cook.
    When he asks I usually just tell him not to bother and I will pick up ready meals on the way home. £20+ later...I get home

Off to bed soon and will hopefully have more ideas in the morning

Lou
  • Lupus_Lou
    Quick check in (QCI)

I have just done some quick sums and we are spending £3791 per month servicing our debt.:eek::eek::eek:
    That's around 70% of our monthly income and doesn't include utilities, C tax etc
    There is no real scope to increase our monthly income so we have to go on the offensive and do some radical cost cutting.
    I will do some more digging around the boards today and see where some efficiencies can be made.
    Sunday lunch is going to be a pre cooked chicken which was yellow stickered in M&S yesterday, reduced from £6 to £1.82. I just need to decided what to do with it
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    That is a lot of every month to service your debts.
    Hope you can find lots of ways to cut down in other ways.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Willing2Learn
    Lupus_Lou wrote: »
    There is no real scope to increase our monthly income so we have to go on the offensive and do some radical cost cutting.
    An idea re extra income:

Depending on how diligent I am, I earn between £100-£200 per month doing online surveys and market research. It is easy money if you have the time...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Lupus_Lou
    An idea re extra income:

Depending on how diligent I am, I earn between £100-£200 per month doing online surveys and market research. It is easy money if you have the time...

Thanks for the suggestion, is there a thread anywhere with details?

I started doing YouGov yonks ago but only have around 1200 points even though I do every survey I am offered.
  • Willing2Learn
    You'll find all the threads in the Boost Your Income board.

The MSE article that started me going was the Top 23 Online Survey Sites
    Get paid cash for surveys & market research

I recommend PopulusLive and Prolific Academic as good places to start out. YouGov takes a lifetime to build up the points...

I love my job

• An idea re extra income:

That is impressive!

Hi Lupus Lou :)

just saying hello and good luck :)

XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business