We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Need bedding plants - what and where to buy?

gribbon
gribbon Posts: 18 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hey Gardeners,

Very novice gardener here. We haven't really had a garden for the last 18 months but have a new patio and am tackling the main garden for weeds and whatnot.
That leaves me with 2 long bedding areas; probably 2 foot wide by 10 meters long. Just pure soil now.

I'd like to get them looking nice but literally no idea what to plant... according to people at work the annuals are coming to the end of their life so looks like summer bedding is probably a no go? I'd have thought a few shrubs (buddliah; fuschia; etc) but in terms of bulk bedding any thoughts?

I'm also keen not to spend too much... the garden centers are always so expensive - online looks cheaper but don't know who to use as never bought plants online!

Links to specific plants I can buy would be amazing :o

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,162 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Have you got Lidl or Aldi near by? I have bought lots in both for a few years, always a good price and quality plants. But you do need to buy soon after they come into stock, they NEVER water them and they remain on display even when dead! Check new deliveries on line.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Asda have loads at the moment, some perennials plus bedding. You have to be a bit picky,as like other S/m they never water or only a perfunctory dribble if they think about it but mine has lots of choices
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Have you got Lidl or Aldi near by? I have bought lots in both for a few years, always a good price and quality plants. But you do need to buy soon after they come into stock, they NEVER water them and they remain on display even when dead! Check new deliveries on line.

We've got a large B&M complete with garden centre near us that has some very good value plants
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Bought the majority of my bedding plants from Morrisons. Very good quality and prices were excellent.
  • gribbon
    Great thank you everyone. Popped by Aldi and picked a few bits up - will head around the supermarkets at the weekend and see what we can find :)
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Keep an eye out for people selling plants outside their houses, it may just be our area, but you can get some really good plants for cheap this way! Some people even give them away. If you know anyone with lavender plants, these are really easy to grow from cuttings and a good source of free plants :)
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    AS others have said - supermarkets - personally currently Asda best, Morrisons gone by now.
    Look out for Dahlias, Begonias, and Geraniums - they would be my choices, and providing where you are isn't hit by heavy frost and snow in the winter - they should regrow next year.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    B and Q and Homebase also
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    School summer fetes are another potential source for cheap plants, could also pick up some cheap perennials too.
  • gribbon
    Brilliant, thank you everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business