PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Smart Deposit scheme invalidation?

Options
Firstly I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this and I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm kind of lost:

Signed a new tenancy agreement and moved in on the 12th (start date on the agreement). I decided to go with the smart deposit with FCC Paragon which is like an insurance for the LL and I paid £280.

I paid the money before I moved in (10th) as requested, I moved in to the property on the 12th and now and the agent is telling me as they didn't pay the deposit until the 15th, Paragon have voided the smart deposit. They said that they've paid after move-in day before and it's always been fine. They said to me because it's been voided I may have to pay for the full deposit now which is nearly £800 but advised I can avoid it by signing a new agreement showing the 19th as the move-in day. This would be to prove to Paragon that we moved in after the move-in day which is untrue and seems fraudulent to me.

I feel really uneasy about this and the agent is sounding very sketchy. As far as I'm concerned I paid on time as requested and I see no reason for me to sign a new tenancy agreement. I was told everything is okay so I don't understand why there's problems now.

If I sign a new agreement, surely that means the old one is void and I may incur more charges? Do I have any legal obligation to pay for the full deposit when I've already paid the deposit and moved in to the property? The landlord is not aware about any of this to my knowledge.

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should not sign fraudulent paperwork. This up to the agent to sort out.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What does your agreement actually say regarding deposit? Is it just that you must pay £280 to the agent?

Ultimately, if you've met your obligations and then they've not done what they should do then it seems to be their problem.
  • JonahSantrin
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I don't want to at all but I'm worried that if the deposit fails our current agreement could become void and I could be evicted?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you have a valid tenancy. You cannot be evicted.
  • JonahSantrin
    Options
    The agreement just states that the £280 is non refundable and I had to sign a declaration saying so.

In the contract it asks me to sign that I acknowledge it will be non-refundable but does say 'this forms part of the original tenancy agreement' - though I don't know if this means if the deposit fails for whatever reason then I no longer have a valid tenancy agreement.

It is indeed their fault, but I do feel somewhat pressured into paying as they are saying I'll have to pay the full deposit if they can't secure the smart deposit
  • JonahSantrin
    Options
    Just to add that I have the receipt proving I paid the £280 and the agent has signed the documentation stating the same.
  • da_rule
    Options
    As G_M says, your tenancy is fine. They are just trying to pressure you because they've made a mistake and they're worried that if there is an issue when you move out they may have to make up the shortfall.

If you want to sign a new agreement (and surrender your current one), then you may want to consider what financial inducement the agent wants to offer you.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These schemes are not that attractive for tenants. see this thread here:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2443597

Is this instead of a deposit? If you have paid what the tenancy agreement requires you topay, you've done your job. Any issues thereafter are not your problem.

The most the LL/agent could do is enforce the terms of the tenancy agreement by making you pay the required monet, which you appear to have done. The tenancy cannot be invalidated.
  • JonahSantrin
    Options
    It is indeed instead of a deposit. I think it's classed as a form of 'warranty' to the LL for dilapidations, unpaid rent or the likewise.

I've seen the other post but unfortunately seen it after I had already paid it!

Would you suggest telling the landlord? Like I said I don't think he knows anything about it
  • da_rule
    Options
    No need for you to do anything.

You have a valid tenancy so stop stressing. If the agent wants to come clean about their mistake then that’s up to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure