Moving from BT to Virgin

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
3 replies 397 views
wazza99wazza99 Forumite
296 posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi, never had cable before but our area has just been "cabled".

Taken 108meg fibre and phone from Virgin for £18.75, installation is 6th August my BT contract expired 18/7/19. I thought Virgin would contact BT but they say no i do that.

Should i ring BT now and advise cease BB and phone line from 06/08/19, or wait until Virgin is up and running ?

Ps i work from home and although i could tether to 4g i'd rather not be without. BB

Replies

• onomatopoeia99onomatopoeia99 Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Transfers between providers on "BT" infrastructure are gaining provider led so the new provider tells the old one and you don't have to.

Virgin have their own infrastructure so you can keep the BT connection if you want to, VM don't cancel it on your behalf. Therefore if you want it cancelled you have to do it yourself.

Only you can judge if it's worth gambling on being without broadband to save a few quid on reducing the amount of overlap.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
  • spyhunterspyhunter Forumite
    250 posts
    ✭✭
    If you are keeping your BT number and porting it over to Virgin the BT line and broadband will cease automatically. No need to contact BT.

If your taking a new Virgin number or you are not having a phone line at all you will have to call BT to cancel .
  • pphillipspphillips Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I've just done what you're planning to do but in reverse, I cancelled virgin media and then arranged the BT installation for as near to the cancellation date as possible. Turns out BT were very flexible so my BT services were up and running the day before virgin media ends.