switching banks is easy say's Martin

Options

Comments

• relishy57
    relishy57 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had 2 Tesco currents accounts that needed moving so last month started the switch and opened new accounts with Halifax and RBS. Halifax is open and switch completed but the RBS is still not opened and switched. Halifax one was not without hitches, went twice through the process on line and over phone and then had to go into branch to do it with an advisor. Part of me thinks this was a ploy to try to upsell other products.
    I had problems uploading digidocuments with the RBS online but still 6 weeks and as of today phone call, update is that it is being worked on. So yes things can go smoothly, not so smoothly and really not smoothly.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    These sound more like issues with opening accounts with specific banks rather than problems with the CASS. As you always have to have an account to switch into in the first place, it seems strange to initiate a switch before an account exists to switch into, in fact I didn't think that was even possible. I've always had accounts open and ready hence why I have never had any problems switching. As for opening accounts, I've not had any problems there either but maybe I have just been lucky.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Done it numerous times, at least 15 between me and OH, only Nationwide asked for me to go into branch with ID, and it was a bit of a faff getting a card reader from them so i could transfer more than £250, but everyone else the account was opened straight away online and switch went smoothly.

I'd agree with above there must be an issue with verifying your identity or address. Have you moved recently?
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    I just tried HSBC Advance offer, apparently I'm not good enough. I guess they didn't like my low salary and low dividends ... So, I don't think I will bother again with trying to open new account to switch. Just keep the ones I have for years.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I just tried HSBC Advance offer, apparently I'm not good enough. I guess they didn't like my low salary and low dividends ... So, I don't think I will bother again with trying to open new account to switch. Just keep the ones I have for years.

HSBC, along with First Direct and M&S are all known to be choosy. Don't take it personally.

There are other banks out there, and some still have attractive offers, decent interest rate, cashback etc

Have you had Nationwide Flexdirect?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to reiterate the point already made in previous posts, opening new accounts and switching are two different processes, so having an account application declined is no reflection on the switching service as such (even though you'd have gone on to use it if you'd succeeded in opening the new account).
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    HSBC, along with First Direct and M&S are all known to be choosy. Don't take it personally.

There are other banks out there, and some still have attractive offers, decent interest rate, cashback etc

Have you had Nationwide Flexdirect?

I never bothered with playing with opening new accounts and switching, but since I had donor Tesco account with 3DD, I thought I could use it.

I tried FD more than 10 years ago but they asked for passports to be confirmed by solicitor, so didn't bother with it again.

M&S vouchers are useless to me. Don't have a shop anywhere near me and it would be effort to spend them. I prefer straight cash reward. I already have their card, so I don't think I would be declined.

Already have Nationwide Flexplus account, so don't think can get any reward for opening another NW account. And I don't see any other attractive offers.

BTW, my credit history is spotless and very long so my conclusion is that HSBC didn't like my salary setup. I will wait for some new cash offer from another bank then. Tesco account can sit and wait.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I never bothered with playing with opening new accounts and switching, but since I had donor Tesco account with 3DD, I thought I could use it.

I tried FD more than 10 years ago but they asked for passports to be confirmed by solicitor, so didn't bother with it again.

M&S vouchers are useless to me. Don't have a shop anywhere near me and it would be effort to spend them. I prefer straight cash reward. I already have their card, so I don't think I would be declined.

Already have Nationwide Flexplus account, so don't think can get any reward for opening another NW account. And I don't see any other attractive offers.

BTW, my credit history is spotless and very long so my conclusion is that HSBC didn't like my salary setup. I will wait for some new cash offer from another bank then. Tesco account can sit and wait.

Flexdirect offers 5% interest on balance up to £2.5k for 12 months. I think that's quite rewarding:cool:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 July 2019 at 8:10PM
    Options
    I never bothered with playing with opening new accounts and switching...
    My best year was £2,400. Our best year was £3,600. Just made £1,000 between us from Santander (in Amazon vouchers...but they all spend). But each to their own. :)
    I tried FD more than 10 years ago but they asked for passports to be confirmed by solicitor...
    Other options were available.

M&S vouchers are useless to me. Don't have a shop anywhere near me and it would be effort to spend them.
    Spend them online. Or give them away for a birthday/Xmas present?
    Already have Nationwide Flexplus account, so don't think can get any reward for opening another NW account.
    If you've never had a refer a friend incentive there's £100 there for you. And if a member of your family or friend has an account (almost certainly they will have, and it includes a mortgage or savings) you'd make them £100 too.
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    What's the point of earning vouchers for the effort of switching account and then give them away? Last M&S vouchers went to my cleaner, because it wasn't worth driving to another town to spend them and I didn't need anything from M&S.

I already got couple of £100s for recommending people to Nationwide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure