switching banks is easy say's Martin

Options
Switching is easy you say? A few months ago i took up the idea of switching banks as i was unhappy with Nationwide service.

I went for the Nat West deal promoted here. Filled in the forms and sent in the ID and all the other proof of identity and address. I had a welcome pack and some contact, then nothing... I waited and called and was told it was being progressed and still nothing. I called and complained.... again nothing. I cancelled it all after several weeks as I figured if that is what i will expect with customer service forget it.

So I tried the new HSBC deal. Same deal. Sent in the ID and proof of address, they lost it, I did it again. Got a letter 3 weeks later asking for proof of ID or address before they could open an account. I replied I had done this and they eventually found it. Several weeks later still nothing....

I give up...... Easy to switch? I don’t think so
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd suggest you're doing something wrong.
    I've switched accounts for the deals 6 or 7 times in the last couple of years.
    Never had to send any form of ID over and the accounts are open immediately with switches taking place as requested.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yup it's easy to switch - done it multiple times (well into double digits) without any issues
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    N9eav - are you perhaps opening accounts rather than using the switching service ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Circa 1m people per year manage to use the switching service, according to https://www.bacs.co.uk/DocumentLibrary/Monthly_CASS_data_2019.pdf, which would clearly suggest that it's not fundamentally broken.

That's not to say they all found it as easy as expected, but there's always the possibility for admin-intensive processes to have hiccups, although experiencing this twice with different banks is unusual....
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Switching is mostly easy. However, opening an account into switch to is not that easy for everyone.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    N9eav - are you perhaps opening accounts rather than using the switching service ?

Nope it's a switch and I have no credit issues. Maybe it's just bad luck
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might be worth pointing out that the account opening and account switching processes are separate and different things - it sounds like you are having issues opening the accounts rather than with the switches themselves? Even if you elect to switch as a part of the account opening process, the switch itself is a separate thing that happens once the account is fully open.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Obviously the banks are having problems verifying your identity. It should not be necessary to send ID as this can normally be done electronically. Are you on the ER? Are you using the address where your present bank account and credit cards etc are registered? Is there anything unusual about your situation?
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Switched loads of times, never any issues. Bad luck I reckon.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    N9eav wrote: »
    Nope it's a switch and I have no credit issues. Maybe it's just bad luck
    A switch needs an account to switch into. It sounded as if you had neither a Natwest nor an HSBC account, thus your problems seem to lie with opening the accounts and you didn't get as far as switching.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure