Garden tap - water not coming out

Options
So over the last month slowly the water coming out of the garden tap has slowed down and now pretty much nothing is coming out.

I had this tap fitted:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/outside-tap-kit-15mm-x/33139

I don't think the green bit is the issue because when the taps are fully open it's still soft whereas in the past because of the pressure of the water it was hard.

Is there anything obvious and simple I can do/check before I get a professional out?

Comments

• googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The washer is probably disintegrating.

If you feel confident about changing it, do so, otherwise ask a plumber.

There's hundreds of YouTube videos and online guides on how to do it
  • indianabones
    indianabones Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    The washer is probably disintegrating.

If you feel confident about changing it, do so, otherwise ask a plumber.

There's hundreds of YouTube videos and online guides on how to do it

Nope - I don't want to risk damage, there's no isolation valve either. Plumber needs to come out.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The cutter that taps into the pipe leaves a small disk of copper in the pipe, they have been known to be found blocking toilets, in this case i would suspect its blocking the tap.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you had some work done in the house that involves plumbing?

It is not unknown for a different workman to do some work in a house and home-owner subsequently goes to switch on their garden tap to find that that workman has disconnected it in the course of doing his job and the water can't get through (because that workman has wrongly removed the necessary pipe for it to do so and not replaced it).
  • googler
    edited 17 July 2019 at 7:52AM
    Options
    Nope - I don't want to risk damage, there's no isolation valve either. Plumber needs to come out.

Isn't there one to isolate the water for the whole house? That would do what you want/need.

EDIT - the white knurled piece shown in the Screwfix advert and video is the isolation tap. This will shut off the feed to the outside tap so you can check it
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd get a plumber in and get him to replace it with proper pipework. The holes the cutter makes aren't that big and don't always fully cut through and can foul over time, hence the low water flow and eventual blockage.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    Isn't there one to isolate the water for the whole house? That would do what you want/need.

EDIT - the white knurled piece shown in the Screwfix advert and video is the isolation tap. This will shut off the feed to the outside tap so you can check it
    Not much use if the blockage is within the inside connection itself. He'd need to switch off the water via the stopcock and take it apart but I'd doubt he'd be able to put it back on with a good seal after, so he's going to have to get it replaced.
  • googler
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Not much use if the blockage is within the inside connection itself.

Yes, that's why I said "This will shut off the feed to the outside tap so you can check it (the outside tap)" ...
  • neilmcl
    Options
    Yes, that's why I said "This will shut off the feed to the outside tap so you can check it (the outside tap)" ...
    But he's already stated that no water is getting through the green pipe so it's more likely an issue with the inside connector.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    But he's already stated that no water is getting through the green pipe so it's more likely an issue with the inside connector.
    This is why I didn't suggest it might be a faulty non-return valve inside the tap, which is what was wrong with one of mine a few weeks ago.

Prised it out and, voila!... working again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure