Refund for poor hotel

I booked a one night stay in a hotel through booking.com, however when we arrived there, the place was an absolute mess. There was no-one there to greet us or speak to as it was fairly late when we arrived, so we walked out and travelled home.

The place was like a building site, and the room was dirty with mould on the ceiling in the bathroom. Not a suitable place to stay with my pregnant wife, and definitely not worth what we paid for it.

I've contacted booking.com via their messaging and sent them the pictures I took. I'm currently awaiting their response, however I've just remembered that I paid on my credit card. Would it be worth speaking to them as well or should I wait for booking.com's response first?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You could do either, but the credit card company will also need to get the facts from both you and booking.com.
  • ADChick
    ADChick Posts: 71 Forumite
    I'll leave it with booking.com for now then. I don't know what their turnaround time is for responding.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,181
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You say you walked out when no-one was on the reception desk, yet in the second paragraph you appear to have seen a room.

I assume someone did greet you and gave you the keys to a room. Did you ask to change rooms if the one offered to you was as you describe?

See what booking.com say but if you did not give the hotel a chance to offer a different and hopefully better room I can't see them offering a full refund.
  • ADChick
    The keys were in a wall mounted safe next to the room. They gave us a code to the main door (which was broken and anyone could enter anyway) and a code to the safe.

There was no-one around at all.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,438
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    If the room cost more than £100 and you paid by credit card, you could try claiming against both the credit card company and Booking.com

Although any hotel that provides access to the rooms via a key safe may not be in the £100 a night category!? I've only used key safes at self catering accommodation.
  • ADChick
    It was over £100 per night. The reception closes at 6pm, so if you arrive later than that they send you an email with the code in.

I might get in touch with the credit card company as well then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure