Where's the Water Meter in a Newish Build?

in Water bills
10 replies 1.2K views
Hello!

I'm moving into a flat in January and I was wondering whether it had a water meter fitted. The flat was built in 1999, so I'm presuming it has as I read that all new properties built after 1990 had to have them fitted?

I'm just wondering bcos I during the viewing I don't rememeber seeing a water meter in the utility cupboard. Someone mentioned that all the water meters for the building (serving about 100 flats) might be in the basement. If this is the case, are we tenants & leaseholders allowed to go into the basement and read our meters? Or will the water company come from time to time to take readings? (If this is the case... how do I give my new meter reading when I first enter the property??)

Also, my friend who lives in a relatively new build complex in London says that he doesn't pay for water because this is included in the service charge for his property (about £1200/annum). Is this common? (I'm asking bcos I'm wondering if this is likely to be the same for me?).

Any thoughts apprecated!
-Riad

Replies

• It could be almost anywhere really, are you on the ground floor? if so it might be right outside the front door, mine is buried in the footpath outside.
    Winnings :D
    01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
  • riad_2riad_2 Forumite
    184 Posts
    It could be almost anywhere really, are you on the ground floor? if so it might be right outside the front door, mine is buried in the footpath outside.

How will I know which one supplies my flat? (I'm presuming they won't have "Flat 1, Flat 2, etc. written on them?)... Should I wait till a bill arrives and see what the meter number on it is?
  • There is a small possibility that the entire block has a single meter & that bills are averaged out between all the flats, just another thought, outside your front door have you noticed any small boxes attached to the wall quite low to the ground?

It might be a good idea to get in touch with your water supplier now rather than wait for a bill
    Winnings :D
    01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
  • riad wrote: »
    How will I know which one supplies my flat? (I'm presuming they won't have "Flat 1, Flat 2, etc. written on them?)... Should I wait till a bill arrives and see what the meter number on it is?

When I moved into my flat all the gas meters were dotted around the building outside, all the electricity meters were inside in one cupboard. All meters were clearly marked which flat the belonged to and I was given a "map" showing where my meters were. And a key for the gas meter outside.

No mention of the water meter, which is a different story, but the point is the meters should be marked to make it easy for the meter reader to spot yours.
  • riad_2riad_2 Forumite
    184 Posts
    With completion set for the 17th... curiosity got the better of me and I called United Utilities today to ask about the water meter/billing situation. The operator took my postcode and flat number, found the flat on the system, and said that this flat isn't billed for water or sewerage... presumably (this was her presumption, not mine!) bcos these charges are included in the service charges for the flat.

Not sure whether this is reliable information or whether the girl just couldn't find it properly on her system (??)... but im inclined not to argue/follow this up if I'm being told I don't have a water bill to pay!

Any thoughts?
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    It could be the water meter isnt fitted yet , its best to ask the builder

Dont presume you wont be billed , thats how big debts happen, get it sorted now :)
  • Sometimes a water meter is situated in the cupboard under the sink in the kitchen so have a look there - this is the case in a lot of new builds so I'm not sure about yours as it was built 8 years ago. Otherwise it will be outside the block on the ground and you're right it won't have the flat number on but may have the original plot number painted on it or just inside the cover - HTH.
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • dzugdzug Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    The meter and the reading point may be in different places - our meter is under the sink but there's a little box on the wall outside that enables it to be read electronically.
  • ring them again to check - you dont want a huge bill 2yrs later lol! if they say that the individual flat isnt billed, check that there is a bill to the managers/landlords for the whole block. its not unknown for builders to forget or miss a meter when informing the water supplier. ask them to check say a neighbouring flat too to be safe....
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • DUKEDUKE Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm in a reasonably new building and mine's outside on the pavement - hope you get it sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals