Who gets all the unused child care vouchers?

Comments

• Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    We did have about 50 quids worth left when our son left nursery so we "donated" them to the nursery instead of giving them leaving gifts etc.

We now have several hundred more as husband insisted on staying in the bloomin scheme and no idea what we will do with them now. Still have a 9 year old so he might need them at some point but unlikely.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Just checked and my employer has a refund request form so presumably we can get it back but possibly not all employers do this.
  • ccderby
    ccderby Posts: 15 Forumite
    Not sure if the system has changed but I used some a few years ago for school trips. I remember asking, at the school office, if I could use them and was told, yes, but we don't usually publicise it as its extra work for us.

I've also used them for PGL
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Surely it depends on whether the employer operates their own scheme, or whether they pass on the money to "buy" vouchers from one of the childcare voucher businesses. If the former, no reason why they can't refund, if the latter, it will depend on the refund policy of the voucher firm they use.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    No, it is up to the employer whether he refunds or not.

It could depend on the payroll system he uses as to whether it can handle it.
  • I am going through the same process. Edenred can process a refund to payroll IF the employer will accept. My employer is looking into this at the moment but in their view no refund possible. Why? Seems no real legitimate reason. We are now out of the scheme since April 19, but we had an unexpected surplus as our son is 11, dropped out of after school club because he hated it, and the summer holiday clubs that interested him did not take the vouchers. I feel another PPI scandal in years to come. Millions of unclaimed money sitting in the coffers of voucher providers due to a stalemate between employers and providers.
  • nick6969 said:
    Refunds are at the discretion of your employer. I do think this is a scandal. All vouchers should be refundable, less appropriate tax. Any vouchers not used by time child is too old will just lapse and, as far as I understand, the company who issues your vouchers will reap the benefit. Ever wondered why these companies are always pushing for you to buy more vouchers? Now you may have your answer.

Time for Martin to lobby on this scandal.
    I agree
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've at times (genuinely) accidentally overpaid our childcare provider and they have refunded it back to my bank account. Could you 'accidentally' make a payment to the child care provider you previously used and contact them asking them to refund you? 
  • cy
    cy Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    I have been with 3 different companies for, each contributing to childcare voucher for about 10 years, and have accumulated around £4000 in each account, in total £12,000.
    My children are no longer require childcare, and Covid19 make it even harder to use any in-person childcare/holiday clubs/etc. When I call up each of the providers Care4 and Computershare, and respective employers, only to find that the balance are NOT REFUNDABLE!
    To me, if it is legal, it is immoral, it does not make any common sense. 
    What I can't comprehen is the following:
    • What is stopping the Childcare Voucher Provider and/or employers to refund via e.g. payroll, where appropriate tax and NI can be deducted?
    MSE, MSE Community, parents who are stuck with £££ in your Childcare Voucher Account, please help me to understand this.
    I am considering starting an online petition to ask HMRC to consider changing the rules. 
    If you have any ideas how can this be approached in a more effective way, please comment. 
    Look forward to your thoughts. 
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    cy said:
    I have been with 3 different companies for, each contributing to childcare voucher for about 10 years, and have accumulated around £4000 in each account, in total £12,000.
    My children are no longer require childcare, and Covid19 make it even harder to use any in-person childcare/holiday clubs/etc. When I call up each of the providers Care4 and Computershare, and respective employers, only to find that the balance are NOT REFUNDABLE!
    To me, if it is legal, it is immoral, it does not make any common sense. 
    What I can't comprehen is the following:
    • What is stopping the Childcare Voucher Provider and/or employers to refund via e.g. payroll, where appropriate tax and NI can be deducted?
    MSE, MSE Community, parents who are stuck with £££ in your Childcare Voucher Account, please help me to understand this.
    I am considering starting an online petition to ask HMRC to consider changing the rules. 
    If you have any ideas how can this be approached in a more effective way, please comment. 
    Look forward to your thoughts. 
    It is made very clear with each scheme that it is not refundable.

I keep an eye on the total and then will stop paying in once we will no longer ended them.

I suggest using them for holiday activity clubs for the kids like PGL or similar.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback