Bills have tripled in my business

Options
Hamilton6137
Hamilton6137 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi

I have recently taken over a business where the electric bill has gone from £370 per quarter from before I took over to £390 per month. This was after I have renovated the business removing old inefficient appliances and replaced them with newer, more efficient ones with some appliances even being scrapped altogether. For some more context the quarterly bill was for 3 months during the winter where extra heaters were on. Is there any way in which I could have disrupted the connections during the renovation which would lead to such an increase in consumption even after I thought I had reduced it by removing appliances? I would appreciate any advice on this matter as I can’t get my head round why my bill is so high for such a small business.

Thanks

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When you took over the business did you start a new contract in your name ?

Could you post your meter readings please - I assume they are all ACTUAL and not ESTIMATES

What are your unit rates / standing charges ? (hopefully in the order of 15p kwh, 25 p a aday)
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Hamilton6137
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes I started a new contract in my name and the price I have been told is quite high (19p per kilowatt) and the old contract was on 14p but that still doesn’t make sense. Also these are estimates but the actual is slightly higher which I haven’t informed the energy company of as the bill will go even higher than now.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    19p per kWh isn't unusual for business electricity, what's your standing charge? Out of contract rates are ludicrous (can be as high as £3.50 a day!) but in contract is more acceptable.

Are you on Eco7? What's your night rate?
  • Robin9
    Options
    You do need to give actual readings - the bills won't go away.
  • Hamilton6137
    Options
    Hi

I’m not on out of contract rates and the standing charge is 25.5p per day. I’m not sure if they are charging me a night rate.
  • Hamilton6137
    Options
    Apparently the energy is being consumed but I can’t understand where from if you know what I mean.
  • Robin9
    Options
    What sort of business are you in? What electrical equipment do you use ?

Lighting, heater, hot water, motors ?
  • Hamilton6137
    Options
    Basically it’s an average sized retail store with 2 compressors at the back outside powering a couple of retail shelf fridges. One of the compressors was replaced to a much smaller and newer unit and the rest is just lighting, a pc, tills and a 2 fan heaters in winter (not being used currently). My mum has a shop similar in size, without refrigeration but more pcs and network equipment and her last bill came to £70 for a month. I’ve spoken to factory owners who have told me their electric bills are nowhere near as much as mine. I can’t understand how my consumption has tripled when it’s supposed to reduce.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 compressors at the back outside powering a couple of retail shelf fridges. One of the compressors was replaced to a much smaller and newer unit

I'd have a look and see what else that compressor supply is powering ... like next door.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Robin9
    Options
    Two potential high users jump out at me.

1) the compressors / fridges

2) the lighting

Some detective work on your behalf is needed - switching off equipment and reading meters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport