Solicitor won't Release my cheque for RTA claim

Options

Comments

• jillkc68
    jillkc68 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    No no im on sick leave due to an underlying illness lol. Not the accident lol
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    She's phoned 12 times with no reply - that will be considered a nuisance by the staff answering the phone. T

How very odd that a company who are not providing satisfactory answers and may well be holding onto the OPs money can consider someone ringing a nuisance.
    Their remedy if they don't like it is to attend to the matter and then I am sure the OP will stop ringing.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How very odd that a company who are not providing satisfactory answers and may well be holding onto the OPs money can consider someone ringing a nuisance.
    Their remedy if they don't like it is to attend to the matter and then I am sure the OP will stop ringing.

I'm obviously not making myself clear. The staff answering the phone are unlikely to be party to the cases, they will just get the same person day in day out with no answer to give her. The calls will not be troubling the party actually charged with dealing with it.

Its rubbish but it is what happens - that's why writing is the next step. More difficult to sidestep in any audit trail.

I also doubt they are holding onto her money, not chasing it in a timely manner perhaps, but not holding onto it.

Solicitors do tend to be brisk and not bother with hand holding type calls and responses. If they've told you you will hear more when they do, they can expect that to be good enough for you.

Again, not always worried customer friendly but what you might have to work with nonetheless.

Write, ask for timescales and whether you can contact the insurers direct ie a little bit pushy. Stress the hardship, ask for it to be passed on. Set your own reasonable date for a response. Then complain if no joy.
  • jillkc68
    Options
    I remembered I had the solicitors email and so I sent an email last night explaining that all I want is an update. He responded by apologising and said he would look into it today. I will give him time to do so. I'm not a rude or pushy person however when I ring they say.... I will get your file and ring you back or I will ring Merlin (insurance company perhaps?) and ring you back or I will speak to the solicitor and ring you back.
    If I don't hear from the solicitor by next Thursday I will then take it further as it is deliberate avoidance
  • jillkc68
    Options
    So I emailed the solicitor on the 4th July. He acknowledged my email and apologised and said he would investigate further the following day. I never heard another word back from him. So I rang this morning (15th July). I spoke to his receptionist who said she would consult with him and ring me back in ten minutes. Surprise surprise she he didnt ring me back. I rang her 50 minutes later. She said my solicitor was on the phone with the court as the money hasn't been released. She said he would ring me back. That was an hour ago
    He didn't return my call. Its now 9 weeks since I heard I was being awarded the money. I just don't understand why they don't return my calls to provide me with an update..... EVER!!! 😡
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2019 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Are they purely a compensation solicitor?
    Are they registered with the law society or the equivalent where you live?
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 July 2019 at 6:54PM
    Options
    Write a formal letter of complaint to the senior partner. If you're not happy with the response escalate it to the SRA
    https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems.page

Oh, hold on, you're in Northern Ireland aren't you? Escalate to the Law Soc of NI instead
    https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/making-a-complaint
  • jillkc68
    Options
    I will ring one more time tomorrow. If there is nothing forthcoming from that call I will ring the senior partner. I don't expect to get speaking to him and so i will leave a message informing him that a complaint is being progressed and I will be leaving a bad review on every site I can link to his company's name!!!
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    jillkc68 wrote: »
    I will ring one more time tomorrow. If there is nothing forthcoming from that call I will ring the senior partner. I don't expect to get speaking to him and so i will leave a message informing him that a complaint is being progressed and I will be leaving a bad review on every site I can link to his company's name!!!

I wouldn't do that.

Have you asked them yet what their complaints procedure is? If yes, follow it. If not, write a letter to them addressed to the complaints manager or practice manager or whatever.

In the letter simply state the facts and explain what your complaint is. I think it would be that despite many requests on your part (helpful if you can document these in a timeline) the firm has repeatedly failed to keep you updated on progress and has failed even to reply (as promised) to your calls. Say that all you want is a realistic estimate as to when you will be paid.

I'm not sure at this stage that you can complain that you haven't been paid - especially if they haven't received the money yet. (I was under the mistaken expression in an earlier post that the settlement had been two years ago).

Tell them you want an update on progress. (Do you also need to clarify what their fees are/will be?)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Say that all you want is a realistic estimate as to when you will be paid.
    All they can really say is "immediately after we receive the money from the insurers". The OP's solicitors don't have any control over that - they can chase up, they can recommence court proceedings (all at the OP's expense), but like I said above, I think everyone needs to accept that insurers work at their own pace. Yes, the solicitors should be better at providing updates, but at least the OP does now have confirmation that there is simply no news to pass on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure