Youth Football Club - Tax?

Hi,

I help run a large Youth Football club. We do not make any real profits as any suplus at the end of the year gets ploughed straight back into the club.
Do we need to register for VAT or pay tax on anything. Is there a way we can claim back VAT on our purchases/expenses.

Thanks

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 July 2019 at 11:10PM
    is your income more than £85,000?
    if yes you must register for VAT
    if no then there may be a benefit to registering voluntarily but not unless you have someone who will do the accounts for you that has a lot more knowledge than you obviously have. Reclaiming VAT incorrectly carries very heavy penalties if caught.

what is the legal status of the club, I'd assume you are an unincorporated body?

You are not tax exempt just because you are a youth club. However, you would only pay (corporation) tax if the club was trading. If all you do is collect annual subs and pay match fees that is not trading. If you run a bar, or sell "stuff" to raise funds, that is trading.

I it is great you are seeking (free) advice, but it sounds like you are not the person with enough background knowledge to ask the right questions to facilitate the right answers.

start here with your researches:
    https://www.gov.uk/unincorporated-associations
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family