Forum Home» Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!! - Page 121

New Post Advanced Search

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

1.3K replies 184.1K views

Replies

• edited 2 July at 1:04PM
    BravepantsBravepants Forumite
    994 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 2 July at 1:04PM
    A few months ago I started using the "Money Dashboard" app on my iPhone to keep track of our joint account - you actually link the account to the app. It generally shows current month spend and the "last" month's spend. Although our budget for necessities is circa £1000 per month the last few months it has been nearer £700.   
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
    Be brave enough to invest against the herd!
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always see the mention of iPhone and think "Nutter, wasted money" and then I remind myself that apart from Microsoft there is no other company that I have more money invested in. Long may Apple reign! Good choice of phone!
  • Anonymous101Anonymous101 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    I always see the mention of iPhone and think "Nutter, wasted money" and then I remind myself that apart from Microsoft there is no other company that I have more money invested in. Long may Apple reign! Good choice of phone!
     :D 

It depends on how old it is. I've a old iPhone6 which is still going strong after 5+ years. Not essential but I'd hardly say it was an over the top indulgence.
    Have you ever listened to the Mavern Adviser podcast "You are the Stockmarket"? Your post reminded me of it and I find it a worthwhile thought exercise occasionally.
    https://www.mavenadviser.com/podcast4/stock-market
  • BravepantsBravepants Forumite
    994 posts
    ✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    It's a phone that's provided by my work, for which I'm allowed a certain amount of personal use. I don't actually own my own phone; so I guess relatively speaking that makes me less of a nutter than you.

If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • DairyQueenDairyQueen Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    I have an 8-year-old MacBook Pro. Never been scammed or hacked. Never crashed. Never overheated.

I am retired IT and there is a technical reason for choosing Apple.
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    I have an 8-year-old MacBook Pro. Never been scammed or hacked. Never crashed. Never overheated.

Excellent. You're the sort of customer Apple needs. Massive profits from the MacBook Pro. A customer that pays silly money but are convinced they have done the right thing is someone who will lead to further profits. Thanks for the custom. You obviously know your stuff.
  • BravepantsBravepants Forumite
    994 posts
    ✭✭✭
    My iPad Pro came with a free copy of Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" installed in the iBooks app.
  • jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's my old skool make do and mend side, as I've spent most of today battling my printer, trying to clean/clear the inkjets, where most people would have just ordered a new one from Amazon by now!!

This is good for the environment as well as people's wallets. I think we all need to learn this attitude.

Spend what you want/can on your phones, laptops, etc - nothing wrong with buying things you want and can afford. Just don't throw things away every two years because it needs fixing or a new one has come out.

• cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    898 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    fred246 said:

Excellent. You're the sort of customer Apple needs. Massive profits from the MacBook Pro. A customer that pays silly money but are convinced they have done the right thing is someone who will lead to further profits. Thanks for the custom. You obviously know your stuff.
    Every time I have to use my 2 year old work Windows Lenovo, I’m reminded what a fantastic investment my MacBook was back in 2014, for which I spend 99% of my time on.  
    Keyboard, trackpad, entire user experience just streets ahead of any windows unit I’ve had the misfortune to use   :D
    I’m not so sure about the current crop of units they sell....but they are undeniably great to use.  

Son had water accidentally spilled in his 3 weeks before his dissertation was due in.....time machine had a replacement recovered, within a day.  
    Sure, “the cloud” can help that kind of disaster recovery event, but nonetheless, I maintain they are far superior to windows units.

Of course, that kind of device comes at a price....but averaged out over the years, I say money very well invested.
    People can obviously chose to spend what they like on tech: choice is great, & always plenty of cheaper options.   Always remember though: buy cheap, buy twice....

Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My investments are safe. It's always good to hear the Apple fanatics.