How will I know when its time to let the pooch go?

Options
Hiya all

My dog 'Lady' is approx 12 years old. She has started having problems with her hips. She struggles to climb the stairs and to get on and off the chair or bed. It has come on quite suddenly. We have been to the vets and she is on anti-inflamatory tablets. We tried to start her on a course of injections but she had to come off of the tablets and this made her worse. She doesn't have the appetite she used to have. She seems so sad. We lost our cat back in June and I sometimes think Lady is lonely. But sometimes I think I am over analysing her behaviour. She is not a big dog like a sheperd or a lab. She is very slender and about 18 inches tall. The vet said she could cope for another couple of years and will probably die of something unrelated to her arthrytis. Back to my question, how will I know when she has had enough?

Comments

• UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently read a book called Marley & Me & I firmly believe what the author (True story) said about his elderly (13yr) dog in the same situation, they will let you know. I'm sure you know your dog & have a bond & will know when the time is right, right now you're unsure but I really believe one day you'll be in no doubt. Your vet seems to think she's ok, if she's not in any pain or suffering & still gets some enjoyment from life, i'd say she's ok. I'm sure you're giving her all the love & attention she could ask for & i'm sure that comforts her. If she were incontinent or anything that was distressing her maybe, but if she's ok, give it some time, sorry I can't be of more help but I do hope she & you will be ok. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be here soon x
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    how will I know when she has had enough?

Thats got to be the hardest question a dog owner ever has to face.

You need to look at the quality of life she has, she deserves to be pain-free and be able to do the things that she enjoys doing. This will be different for every dog. Some dogs will slip into retirement, pottering around the garden and sleeping more - others will 'live fast and, sadly, die young'. If your dog doesn't show interest in walks and wants to lay about at home then maybe you could let her. If she wants to keep doing what she has always done then talk to the Vet and try and find a treatment that keeps her pain-free for as long as possible.

If she can't be made pain-free by the Vet to enjoy these things then you need to decide if you are keeping her with you to save your heartache, or if she really has a quality of life that she can enjoy.

I've had the luck to share my life with over 20 dogs (so far!) and can tell you that the decision is one that you will always question and will feel guilt over for some time. But in the end it is a decision that only you can make, and you will learn to live with.

My thoughts are with you,
    NorbsMa
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Sallys_Savings
    Options
    My dog was 17 years old when we had to let her go and eventhough she reached this age almost problem free it was still a heart wrenching decision when it was made.
    I'm sitting here now 7 years later (and another gorgeous dog by my feet) and tears are still streaming down my face thinking about her when I read your post.
    When the time comes, I think you do know.

All the best.
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    *passes tissues to all that needs them*

xx
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • 4Chickens
    Options
    I have just popped home from work to take Lady for a quick walk. She was upstairs on the bed when I went in. She was pleased to see me and wanted to go out. She got excited as she usually does and was wagging her tail so I think she is happy enough for now. Thanks for all your support. It is hard to beleive that there are alot of people who do not understand how much you can love and animal. I still think about the dog we had before this one and it can still make me sad when I remember his last day.

Thanks again, you are all very kind people
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As others have said, she will let you know

Have you tried metacam? My cocker was on it for the last few years of his life (PTS for something unrelated) after his back legs went at a young age. A lot of people are wary about prescribing it long term but if you adjust the dose accordingly and have follow ups theres no need to worry. My dog was like a new pup within days
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Next time my cat (age 17) goes to the vet for a steroid injection for his hips, I'll ask about Metacam. Just looked at the site and cats can have it too.
  • skintmostofthetime
    Options
    Been there, been there, been there. As I type I'm close to tears because this HAS to be the hardest thing to do when your pet is in this condition.
    Good luck with all the medication - and remember we've had to do this and it's never ever easy - I've had to make this decision 3 times in 10 years - and YES I'd still have another even though I know I'll have to do it again.

Many Many sympathies to you.
  • kickstart_3
    Options
    I have just gone through this myself , having had to have my GSD put to sleep 2 weeks ago. I didnt know his age because i rescued him, but i had him for 14 yrs and his face went grey so i expect he was a good old age. He was showing all the signs of age and i knew the time was coming but i couldnt make that descision as there wasnt anything really wrong with him. Then 2 weeks ago over the weekend the choice was taken from me , he lost control of his bowels and his back legs gave way , so the vet said it was time to let him go . I honestly think when the time comes for your dog , you will know , something will decide you.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    What about trying your dog on that food they advertise on the tv - it shows an arthritic dog before and the same dog after eating this food.

As said before, your dog will let you know when it is time.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport