using SIM abroad for data

Options
Dale_UK
Dale_UK Posts: 21 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi guys! anyone have any clue on using a UK data sim in Cyprus for 6 months or so? is this possible? I see some have a FUP, but when you breach this, what happens exactly? do they rate limit you? or block you? thanks for any advice, its just data in Cyprus is expensive!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Roaming for six months is unlikely to work. There are limits on how long you can roam for. You will need to obtain a local SIM for 6 months use in another country.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dale_UK wrote: »
    I see some have a FUP, but when you breach this, what happens exactly? do they rate limit you? or block you?
    All networks will have a fair usage policy for Roam Like at Home, with various time limits for continuous use and charging price if and when they notice it being exceeded, according to your tariff and network. You would probably have to enquire with the individual networks, I doubt that service would be cut off entirely.

If it's just for data and the phone number is not important, you could have an extra SIM or two available to start using when the first one becomes limited.

North Cyprus is not part of RLaH and uses Turkish networks, so be careful if you go there or near to the border where your phone could connect to one, use manual network selection to avoid that if doing so.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport