PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Certificate of structural adequacy

Options
redman1989
redman1989 Posts: 64 Forumite
edited 19 June 2019 at 5:10PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi All,

We are in the process of selling our flat and there is documents that refer to the certificate of structural adequacy, we have a copy of it and have a copy of the assignee being transferred to the previous owners (it was a probate matter so the executor transferred to the new owners)

This wasn't transferred to us and our fee earner is making a big deal about it. I would have thought that the certificate would be transferred to who ever owns the property automatically but being informed otherwise.

Being told if we can't get the assignee changed over to us we need to pay for a full structural survey. Feel like our fee earner is working against us!

Guess my question is - is this correct?

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A certificate of structural adequacy normally is the end result of an insurance claim for subsidence.
    Do you have details of such a claim?
    Unless this certificate contains a guarantee that the structure will remain sound I can't see any urgent benefit in assigning it to you.
    You will sometimes also see a Defects Insurance Guarantee which should be assigned.
    Normally in such cases it is the purchaser who pays for any surveys on the building.
    You will probably be wasting your money if you commission a survey since the surveyor will have no liability to you purchaser.
    Who do you mean by your 'fee earner' and who are you 'being told' by?
  • redman1989
    redman1989 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tom,

I have all details and have the signed certificate that was originally produced, though being told i need to have a signature assigning it to me.. ?

The "subsidence" was the result of weight re-distribution throughout the house as we had stairs removed which caused some internal crackings but in the structural survey it was said that it was longstanding and not to be an issue, i have a details of the works carried out in which it was just decorative then i have the signed cert to say it's structurally sound. it just fell under subsidence in the claim, it just looked more gnarly then it appeared to be.

The fee earner is the person we have instructed to act on our behalf of us for the sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure