Our MFW Adventure!

Options

Comments

• Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's a lovely idea SH, we have done a couple of facetime calls with wider family too.

DD1 was sick because she had been jumping around after her dinner, but as you can never be sure until they make a miraculous recovery 20 minutes after the school start time :D , I kept her off.
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • Needhelpsaving
    edited 24 March 2020 at 11:05PM
    Options
    Well, it's official, we're in lockdown. The kids drove me up the wall yesterday (mainly because they proclaimed to be constantly hungry and not listening to a word I was saying), but today we seem to be fairing better as we start to find a new routine that involves only the house and garden. 

The craft cupboard is coming in handy and the lovely weather certainly helps with them being able to make dens and run around outside. We're doing okay for food, OH went out last night and got some milk and cereal to tide us over. I'm trying to get to the end of the week before heading out to the shops. 

Edited as we felt my last comment may identify me IRL x 
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry about the funeral. It's been an unbelievable start to the year.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 236 payments to go - now £183,036 Equity 26.8%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £10.2K/£127.5K AVC target 8% value at 15/5
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    Today is pay day (I almost typed pain day???  :D)

Money shuffles done with some big payments having gone out in March. Luckily for us, this was the month OH annual bonus hits, so we had more to play with.

Both cars insurance renewals done, home insurance done, new fridge freezer bought and delivered. 

We have added some to savings to add a bit more of buffer as I am not sure anyone knows exactly what the future has in store at the moment. We have also made a mortgage OP to try to get a balance in our approach to money goals and financial stability. 

The budget has been scaled back for this month with many non-essentials removed. Some of this is because the need has been removed (OH petrol spends for work etc) and some out of choice. We haven't made it uncomfortable, but more sustainable given the current situation. We have also tried to make use of free activities at home to entertain the kids (crafts we already have, garden, reading to grandparents over video call). 

I hope you're all well wherever you are x 
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Hi - it makes a lot of sense to scale back on spending. Good to also be able to OP.
    I've over-spent this month - trying to make sure I had stuff in a) to feed us and b) to help keep us sane! Next month I plan to be a lot better.
    Just took part in clap for the NHS - could hear others outside on our estate doing it and cheering which was sweet. Hope someone in the NHS heard it!
    3) CC £4.6K on 0% spends card but offset by £33.8K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    Thanks for popping in SH, to be honest I don't think there is any one answer for each household on what/how they spend at the minute as we've never been in a situation like this in our lifetime. 

OH went to get the weekly shop yesterday - £28 over budget! He said he couldn't be bothered to go to a big store and so bought every single branded/overpriced version of what was on the list (as well as extra items he fancied) from the local co-op. I was cross, but had to remember that he went so that I could get other stuff done, I just need to remember that next time, I will be doing the shopping myself. Lesson learned.

A couple of birthdays this month which require gifts. One set has been ordered, the other needs some more thought. I would normally just give money for wider family, but as they are our DD's and they are unlikely to see anyone at this rate, we want them to have something to open. Thinking cap on. 
  • Needhelpsaving
    edited 30 March 2020 at 4:44PM
    Options
    Good Morning!

We're up bright and early today, trying to keep a routine of sorts going. 

Today will be homeschooling, crafts, some decluttering for me and getting the ironing done and put away. 
    This weekend's spends have been limited to food shop and birthday presents for one DD (I'm still mulling over what to get other DD). I've stuck to the meal plans and am trying to make sure no food is going to waste, which is a good habit to try and cultivate. 

I will do a round up of last months goals in a separate post, it was a bit a hit and miss overall, so I need to refocus my efforts on this.  

I hope you're all fairing well wherever you are xxx
  • savingholmes
    edited 30 March 2020 at 10:22PM
    Options
    I think all my goals just flew out the window in the last few weeks. It's just kind of hunker down and hope that you and your friends and family make it through to the other side. None of which is really in our control - as we can reduce but not completely eliminate social contact. My mum insisted on video calling me earlier - why???? Bless her she was desperate to see someone. They are isolating for at least the 12 weeks. When my mum goes out it is in full protective gear! They've even made their own mask and eye shield equivalent. Full marks for trying. One a more positive note - an NHS volunteer dropped off their medications so they didn't have to collect them. Thank you to those who volunteered for that - my parents are elderly and my dad has a heart condition - so volunteers could literally be life savers.
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    I think you're right SH, we're all just settling into a new routine and finding our feet so to speak. I feel fortunate to have access to mod-cons that mean we can entertain ourselves/stay in contact with people fairly easily via the internet etc. 

Yesterday was spendy - the shop OH did the other day didn't quite cover everything we needed - again this is due to us re-adjusting to everyone being at home when they are usually eating at school and work. So estimating food consumption has been a learning curve. I went out and did a top up shop of bits that we needed and found some bits that we didn't need straight away, but are items we haven't been able to find for a couple of weeks. 

I spent £33.75 at a supermarket, but also had to stop at a corner shop as they had no bread/milk at the big store. The corner shop spend was £10.77 as I found a 3kg bag of pasta (the only size they had) for £4.99 and some tinned tomatoes that I could use for pasta sauces. We haven't been able to get pasta for weeks and only have the dregs of a 250g bag in the cupboard, so we won't need any for ages now. 

I've also sorted DD1 birthday gifts - could only get them on click and collect, so have arranged it for when i'm in that direction for a hospital appointment so I don't have to make an additional journey. 
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    Hi!
    Things haven't changed much here over the last few days, so there hasn't really been much to report. Hospital app is now going to be done over the phone, so I picked up DD1's birthday gifts at the weekend and did a shop at the same time (I'm amazed at how much food is being eaten!). Other than that one trip, I haven't been out at all. 

Below is a (late) update of the progress I made in March on my goals; 
    Completed;
    1. Had 4 family activities with the girls, all were low cost. 
    2. Decluttered 25 items.
    3. Watched a Tedx talk and some interviews on money management as part of my personal development. 

Partially Completed;
    1. Continued with some home improvements, although not as many as I had planned. 
    2. 'Worked' 14/31 hours (mainly competition entries). 
    3. Completed more fitness work than last month, but still room for improvement and consistency.

Not completed; 
    1. I did not read any books in March
    2. I did not earn any additional income towards mortgage OP/Savings/Pension savings

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback