IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Grace period for non ticketed car park

Options
Hi - I've read a lot about the grace period guidelines from the BPA. ie, 10 mins from getting in the car park, reading signs and buying a ticket and then 10 mins at the end to leave the carpark (or thereabouts).

But what if you are not buying a ticket and it's a carpark where you are photographed on entry and exit and there's a 3 hour limit for your stay? Do the grace periods still apply?

I've got a ticket for a 15 min overstay at Blackpool Odeon car park. Do I appeal on that basis?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone is asked to read up on this in the newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

Go there now to learn about the game you are caught up in

#1 there has a template appeal to use without making any changes designed to get you a popla appeal (assuming you are dealing with a BPA company - please tell us!)
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above, use the initial template in blue from post 1 of the NEWBIES, unaltered from the keeper, then use the information from post 3 at the PoPLA stage.
    Grace periods will only be one of several points to use at this stage.

What is the name of the PPC please?
    Have you checked to see I the NTK is PoFA compliant?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Lord_Didsbury
    Options
    Hi Quentin - i read as much as i could last night on the newbies thread and also looked at a model appeal that went into detail about the BPA guidance. (Appeal_stage2_POPLA_ECP_draft5.pdf)

I understand it, and got off a ticket a few months back in Manc Airport Pub Carpark using it. it just that the BPA guidance seems to be worded a lot about either buying a ticket or leaving without buying a ticket. I just wanted to know if it's different if there's no ticket involved and you stay rather than decide to leave?

IT's Care Parking and I checked they were a member of the BPA.

thanks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, include grace periods both ends. Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options

IT's Care Parking and I checked they were a member of the BPA.

Have you already got your POPLA code then?
  • Lord_Didsbury
    Options
    No, no POPLA code yet. I was looking for advice before appealing to POPLA.
    thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this parking incident related to the one described in your earlier thread?

If so, can you please ask a Board Guide to merge your threads.

We are already seeing questions asked that have been answered on that earlier thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure