We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Returning mobile to CPW under distance selling

Hi,
I have just received a Nokia 6111 from Carphone Warehouse. There are a number of problems with the phone - keeps cutting out when I'm using it and it keeps saying the SIM card is rejected intermittently. All in all I am also not impressed with the phone and do not like the handset particularly.

I telephoned and CPW say I can return the phone for an exchange but because I have used the SIM and the phone then I do not qualify under the 7 day distance selling regulations and I can't cancel my contract.

I would really like to cancel and shop around for something else - is there any way out of this or have they got me for 12mths with a phone I don't like??

Thanks
Helen

Comments

  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ring consumer direct i have found them good in the past http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    HClayton wrote: »
    I have just received a Nokia 6111 from Carphone Warehouse. There are a number of problems with the phone - keeps cutting out when I'm using it and it keeps saying the SIM card is rejected intermittently. All in all I am also not impressed with the phone and do not like the handset particularly.

    I telephoned and CPW say I can return the phone for an exchange but because I have used the SIM and the phone then I do not qualify under the 7 day distance selling regulations and I can't cancel my contract.

    I would really like to cancel and shop around for something else - is there any way out of this or have they got me for 12mths with a phone I don't like??

    There are two seperate issues here.

    The first is the problems with the phone. You should contact the provider and they will instruct you on the repair/replacement procedure.

    The other problem is you don't like the phone. This would be covered by the distance selling regulations if the phone was sold over the phone.
    However, I believe if you have opened the SIM package and registered it in the phone, you are deemed to have accepted the contract and this legislation no longer applies.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.