How can I achieve this body?

Options
Hi guys.

Before I start I know it will take a lot of hard work in the gym and strict diet to achieve what I want to achieve

My current body

fd0e0ad4-d53f-4c82-a082-32691ce7f012-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And here is what I want to achieve

e4644ba1-f579-42c3-90f9-7be20ca43251-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I don’t want to get massive. I just want to be lean, with slight muscle.

Hard to tell from the picture of me but I do have slight belly fat.

I don’t currently have a diet or gym routine. Well I do but it’s all over the place.

So should I be bulking and then cut? Hitting the weights?

Or should I be smashing the cardio to get lean?

I am not expecting anyone to post me a diet plan and gym routine on here. But if you can recommend me something to google based on my body type it would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• gaz_moose
    gaz_moose Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    eat well, sleep well, do cadio and weights.
    do deadlifts, squats and bench.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would concentrate on Cardio especially HITT training.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want to pull, find a good tailor, and tidy your bedroom.

Dim lighting, a bottle of wine, and intelligent conversation will do the rest.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cardio won’t give you that body, you need weights and changing your diet. You’re in decent shape, a bit of belly fat but probably well inside the healthy weight zone.
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2019 at 9:01PM
    Options
    will369 wrote: »
    I am not expecting anyone to post me a diet plan and gym routine on here. But if you can recommend me something to google based on my body type it would be appreciated.
    I would start by focusing on 'core exercises'. These work your abs, obliques, hip flexors, and back muscles around the waist, and I've found them highly effective for tightening up 'dad bod'. Once you see everything becoming 'sculpted', then you can add work to bulk up selected areas. Maybe some work with weights, sticking to lower weight but with high rep count (chest press, fly), and perhaps some cycling for leg muscles.

This video will give you an idea of what's involved in 'core'. No special equipment needed, just your own body weight. You can do this in the gym or at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uqB6FCu5U
  • Finchy2018
    Finchy2018 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Joe Wicks literally posts his work outs and diet online and in books. Just do those... he has a you tube channel and work outs in the back of his books; plus gives you a diet based on macros and eating according to the exercise you have or haven't done. I don't think he could make it much easier.
  • rybennet
    rybennet Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    You should try CrossFit to achieve that lean muscle you're aiming for. You already have a good body to tone and start with. Just have a clean diet as well and always have at least 8 hours of sleep everyday.
  • Twoplus
    Twoplus Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    It's going to take you several months and a lot of hours of your time each week to get there. You can follow the Joe Wicks exercises, but unless you enjoy doing it you are unlikely to stick at it.
    My other half was similar to you but was about a stone overweight 2 years ago. He previously had several failed get fit attempts at the gym. He started a couch to 5k program 2 years ago, moved onto triathlons and is currently training to do an iron man distance triathlon, and now has a great body. (But I hardly see him as always training)
    My brother does rock climbing, fell running and kayaking, which again gives him good muscle definition.
    You need to find something you enjoy doing which uses your core, upper and lower body muscles that you will stick at and watch your diet.
  • Danipat
    Danipat Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would agree with the other post, just follow what Joe Wickes does, use his workouts and eat his meals
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Looks like you have an ectomorph pysique so I think the hardest part for you will be building up the muscle mass rather than the lowering your body fat.

How many times a week can you train? and sustain in the long term without getting bored?

Very basic advice follows.

I would start off with a 3x a week full body workout. each workout pick four from deadlift, squat, benchpress, shoulder press, dumbell rows, lat pull down and dips, then you could end each exercise with a couple of isolation exercises eg bicep curls/calf raises/tricep press and so forth. Work in the 6-10 rep range, mixing it up. If you can easily do 10 reps then increase the weight.

Focus on eating lean meats/ fish/ with some pasta/rice, nuts/seeds and veg also important, some fruit too.

Get a solid 8 hours a week sleep and try to avoid processed food. Once you have put on a decent amount of muscle mass (could be well over a year, depends how good your genetics are) then look at HIIT to lower body fat percentage.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback