Los Angeles what area to stay?

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What will you do if the Breeders Cup is moved to Kentucky, as was being talked about in the last few days due to the unacceptable number of horse deaths at Santa Anita recently?

https://eu.courier-journal.com/story/sports/2019/04/05/louisville-churchill-downs-ready-if-breeders-cup-relocates/3379904002/
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like Jackie, we also didn't care much for LA. We spent 2 days there and that was ample time to tick off the sites we wanted to see. We normally prefer to do things under our our steam, however the scale of the city is something else and mass transport is not as connected and tourism orientated as you might expect. The HOHO bus got us to all the main sites quickly and easily and was worth every penny.

We stayed at the Magic Castle hotel just off Hollywood Blvd. The room was a little basic but the location and hospitality were second to none. HOHO stop just around the corner on Hollywood Blvd. We also caught the train just around the corner to Universal Studios. IIRC, it was less than 20 minutes away.

There are plenty of hotels in Anaheim, including very reasonably priced budget options within short walking distance of the Disney parks.

traffic in/out/around LA was the worst we experienced anywhere in california. I would heartily avoid driving in the city as much as you can. When driving is unavoidable, do your research. Avoid rush hours and plan your route(s). Allow more time than you expect for your journey.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A car is going to be essential with the different places you want to go, unless you are happy to taxi/uber everywhere.

Battleship... Do you mean USS Iowa? That’s south east, at San Pedro - about 30 miles from Santa Monica and about 45 miles from Santa Anita Park. Your destinations form a four sided shape around LA.

Have you already booked your flights? TBH, if you haven’t and just want to visit ‘a battleship’, not USS Iowa specifically, I’d be tempted to fly into San Diego, do USS Midway, beaches and shopping, drive up to Disney Thurs/Friday, to Santa Anita racing on Saturday and fly out of LAX or one of the regional airports. You would need a car.

Jackie, Wash your mouth out with soapy water - I believe what you were trying to say is that visiting the battleship Iowa in LA and aircraft carrier Midway is SD is a cracking way to spend your holiday time.:beer::):beer:.

IMO, flying into San Diego spending some time down there and then driving to Santa Anita for the racing and avoiding LAX would be a wonderful way to spend your time.
    Then fly back from LAX.
    The price of the open jaw ticket may come as a pleasant surprise.
    (or maybe GB-SAN-LAX-GB as a multistop)
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The San Diego part is an interesting idea and I'd suggest at least looking into doing a split, as you may also save on your hotels.

Los Angeles hotels are on the expensive side, at least when I'm looking very end August, which is Labor Day weekend. I'm likely to stay at Culver City on arrival (or trip includes Vegas in the middle), and we've booked a night at Long Beach before flying home. Culver city is quite central and easy to access everywhere, and has a few 3* chain hotels which are walkable to a decent shopping mall.

Last time we went to LA we enjoyed it. Went to Griffith Observatory, Walk of Fame, Santa Monica, etc. San Diego is a nice place to visit too though. USS Midway, Gaslamp district, various other bits and pieces. Probably cheaper than LA.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Flights direct to San Diego are expensive so need to fly LHR to LAX return.

Leaning towards are car seems a lot less hassle and also will feel safer especially with daughter.

I'm not sure why so many are suggesting San Diego. It adds a lot to the cost and in no way adheres to your itinerary.

I would suggest LAX and SNA in whichever order is more convenient. Plus you'll find that the cost is the same or even cheaper. One of my original tips from long ago. ;)
    SNA is much closer to the beaches that richardw has mentioned.

Take a look; https://www.momondo.co.uk/flight-search/LON-LAX/2019-10-28-h/SNA-LON/2019-11-03-h/2adults/children-11?sort=price_a

From £879 for three.

12.png

Do check luggage allowances before confirming.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    I'm not sure why so many are suggesting San Diego. It adds a lot to the cost and in no way adheres to your itinerary.

Possibly because San Diego is one of my favourite places in America and (for me) LA's only redeeming feature is any road that takes me out of there.

As a first time visitor, SD is a lovely place to go to.:)

AS a first time visitor, LA is a dump to go to.:eek:
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Other way around;

14.png

https://www.momondo.co.uk/flight-search/LON-SNA/2019-10-28-h/LAX-LON/2019-11-03-h/2adults/children-11?sort=price_a

We did motels, as that solved the issue of parking and having to pay US$60 to park your car at your hotel. All we chose were pleasant enough. Though there were a few we rejected. :)
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Possibly because San Diego is one of my favourite places in America and (for me) LA's only redeeming feature is any road that takes me out of there.

As a first time visitor, SD is a lovely place to go to.:)

AS a first time visitor, LA is a dump to go to.:eek:

I understand how you feel(not that I agree with you. My girlfriend had her bucket list and she was extremely happy), but San Diego adds quite a bit to the cost of their flights and is further away from the things that they want to do.
    Santa Ana keeps the price the same and gives them access to the southern beaches. They can still visit San Diego if the fancy takes them, but they only have a short trip and I imagine they will be busy enough.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    San Diego is an excellent suggestion. It would be well worth paying a bit more money to avoid having to drive in the unpleasant LAX and central Los Angeles areas.

Google Maps is a great way of checking where places are and how far apart they are. For example, Santa Anita Park to Disneyland:
    https://goo.gl/maps/UsYZV7U6Evex3ZQh9

You can also use Google Maps to see where motels are, for example in the Disneyland area:
    https://goo.gl/maps/N2BA6aXXb9C21DSq7
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • smithers1981
    smithers1981 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions have found return flights to lax with Air New Zealand (includes 23kg bag) for just under £1000 other airlines cheaper but hand luggage only.

Then need a car planning to spend first night near airport as we land 1940.

Do like the look of SD and the beaches in Orange County. Disney a definite now planing 2 days there.

Really want flights and hotel for less than £2k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure