PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage company welcome gifts?

Options
So this has been a topic of conversation between myself and my friends recently.

Some of us have had lovely ‘welcome’ gifts from mortgage providers where others have had nothing.

We are with Coventry and our house purchase is about to complete tomorrow so I wonder if we will get anything. Anyone else had anything from Coventry BS?

Is welcome gifts still a thing, or has it died out again?

Comments

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've heard of 'welcome gifts' from the estate agent when you collect the keys (bottles of wine & chocolates) but to be honest I've never heard of such a gift from the mortgage provider? Would they post it to you??

I'm getting £500 cashback from Nationwide for taking a mortgage with them however it's not really a gift, more an incentive to get a mortgage with them.

I am still relatively young so I'd be interested in other peoples opinions.
    Know what you don't
  • Gilead
    Gilead Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I took our a mortgage with Halifax in 2014, they sent a welcome pack containing chocolates, mini bottle of champagne and a small toolkit.

It was a nice touch.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Gilead wrote: »
    When I took our a mortgage with Halifax in 2014, they sent a welcome pack containing chocolates, mini bottle of champagne and a small toolkit.

It was a nice touch.

Aaaaw, that was a nice touch...

''Here have this bit of worthless poundshop tat as a reward for becoming our latest lifelong obedient, compliant mortgage slave worker drone'':rotfl:
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ours was with halifax in 2011 and we got a hamper not too dissimilar to what Gilead describes although i seem to remember there being a bit more.

Halifax where one of the more expensive providers at the time but we went with them having had issues with fraud and defaults and wanted to be as confident as possible of securing the mortgage as we banked with them. They made no effort when it came to remortgage time so it wasnt a hard decision going elsewhere.

Think there was solicitors fees paid for and £250 cash back with a month or two before payments started as well, ive not done the sums but assuming it was all paid for by the higher than average interest rate.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nationwide, 2016, we got a gift hamper from NW a few weeks after completion. Nothing fancy, just some NW branded stuff, tea, etc.
    Cls22 wrote: »
    So this has been a topic of conversation between myself and my friends recently.

Some of us have had lovely ‘welcome’ gifts from mortgage providers where others have had nothing.

We are with Coventry and our house purchase is about to complete tomorrow so I wonder if we will get anything. Anyone else had anything from Coventry BS?

Is welcome gifts still a thing, or has it died out again?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't remember getting anything, but was sent some lovely flowers by the EA I bought through :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Bacon_Sandwich
    Options
    Any so-called gift from a lender will be costed back into your fees/rate - ultimately you'll have bought yourself a gift and given yourself 20 or 25 years to pay for it.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Never had anything from HSBC and we had two mortgages in the last ten years with them. But they were so much cheaper than other lenders for us that I don't mind!

I've heard of new build developers leaving bottles of champagne etc. I don't recall any friends mentioning lender gifts.
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    muhandis wrote: »
    Nationwide, 2016, we got a gift hamper from NW a few weeks after completion. Nothing fancy, just some NW branded stuff, tea, etc.
    We received the same from Nationwide in 2016. I thought it was quite a nice touch. Never received anything from the estate agents or previous owners (not that this was expected anyway!).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • letsbetfair
    letsbetfair Posts: 958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any so-called gift from a lender will be costed back into your fees/rate - ultimately you'll have bought yourself a gift and given yourself 20 or 25 years to pay for it.

Unless the lender can get companies to pay to include samples/advertising...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure