PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Helping grandchildren purchase their own home.

Options
Not_Me
Not_Me Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 13 June 2019 at 7:12AM in House buying, renting & selling
Sorry if this is the wrong section but I cannot see anything that fits my question.

I will be 69 this year with plenty of life in me yet, talking to my children about money and inheritance. They would prefer that I helped my 2 grandchildren get onto the property ladder instead.

I did a search and found the HMRC website which gave examples of gifting a lot of money away and tax being payable. The figures they used and was taxable went over £300,000. That is not the case for me. My property is approximately £110,000 to £120,000 going by the neighbours sales over the last 2 years. And I have slightly more in cash in various accounts earning not a lot of interest compared to 10 years ago.

My pension covers all my bills comfortably even taking 4 holidays a year.

This is getting rather long do I split it?

Comments

• george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you gift your grandchildren money, as long as you live for another 7 years it won’t be part of your estate and hence will be tax free.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,429 Forumite
    Options
    69 is a bit young to be giving large sums away IMO. How do you know you won't need that money in the future?

eg Private health (hip OP c. £15,000)

How much are you talking as a percentage of your current net worth?

How much ready cash will you be left with?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Not_Me
    Options
    2 Grandchildren under 25 (only just).

1 working at the same company for over 3 years, minimum wage but spends little and saves £500 per month living at home still. At a guess she may have close to £20,000 saved.

2. works hard but swapped jobs a few times and was unlucky to leave a fairly good job for something he thought he would prefer but turned out not to be the case. Fairly good job at the moment but its not a standard 40 hour week and the pay is up and down. Currently investing in tools to startup on his own.

Options?

How much can I gift them without paying tax?

Buy a house with Granddaughter and he pays rent which buys himself a share and they clear the small mortgage quickly?

I will be wanting to keep at least £50,000 myself, which leaves less than £100,000 for them which is not enough to purchase a property. Midlands if that makes any difference?

Sorry if this is rather long and in the wrong section and thank you to anybody that reads this far.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can gift as much as you want and there are no tax implications for you or them at present. It only, potentially, comes an issue if you die within 7 years of making that gift.

I would question the wisdom of what you are doing tbh. Leaving yourself with £50k may sound a lot but really isn't.

A more modest approach would be for you to pay into a help to buy ISA for them. Sounds like they are not yet in a position to fund the costs of running their own home.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,429 Forumite
    Options
    Giving away 2/3rds of your savings and leaving yourself only £50k for any of life's emergencies over the next 20+ years sounds very risky to me.

Also as another poster said, are your GC in a position to BE homeowners with all that that entails, buying the house is only the start!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There are no gift taxes in the UK.

That the easy part you can give everything away no "gift" tax.

if you give away an asset, that counts as a disposal so needs a CGT assessment(not applicable for your scenario)

now the bit that gets people confused the IHT stuff, people talk about it getting taxed, as if it somehow get taxed when it wouldn't have anyway.

The reality is this is no more than the IHT tax you would pay if you just kept the asset.

This applies to proper absolute gifts not those that are pretend gifts like a house you still live in.

Best to start with the big exemption the nil rate bands, these are £325k and up to £175k(for the house bit).

Then you have the potential to double through transferable from spouse.

This means if your total is less than £325k NO IHT, less than £500k and there is enough in a house NO IHT
    upto £1m with both transferable nil rate bands and a house worth enough over the £650k bit NO IHT.

Based on your numbers(~£250k) you fit into the under £325k so IHT is not an issue you can give away as much as you like.
    (You will get warned about deprivation of assets)

For those that creep over the nil rate band limits they have other options the key is gifts remain part of your estate but there are a rules on how long this is for.

There are some exemptions so the value drops out of the estate immediately

You will hear about the £3k per years one, there are others in that category for B'days Xmas wedding small gift...

There are also gifts from income which are handy if your still saving too much .

if a gift does not qualify for any of the above it then falls into the 7 year rule.

Any gift falls out after 7 years, until then it stays as part of the estate.

For big gifts(cumulative) that are over the nil rate band(at least £325k) there can be some IHT mitigation through taper relief.
    Those that have this sort of gifting ability should be well up on this and/or taking advice.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    You can gift as much as you want and there are no tax implications for you or them at present. It only, potentially, comes an issue if you die within 7 years of making that gift.

I would question the wisdom of what you are doing tbh. Leaving yourself with £50k may sound a lot but really isn't.

A more modest approach would be for you to pay into a help to buy ISA for them. Sounds like they are not yet in a position to fund the costs of running their own home.

Seem like a much more appropriate approach. Couple of years more to let both of them settle down and if you did HTB isa along with LISA's for them both you could essentially have got them both a good couple of grand extra from the Gov't without it coming out of your own savings pot:j
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
  • Not_Me
    Options
    Thank you all for the very fast replies and suggestions.

My pension leaves me very comfortable. I do not spend half of it and as mentioned take 4 holidays a year. Not lavish holidays but all inclusive.

I have seen information on the help to buy ISA. Two versions with one being save £4000 and the other save £200 per month. The £4000 one sounds ideal and a better option.

Granddaughter possibly not ready yet, having the good life at home with few bills and no worries. But does want to buy a home, just the funds holding her back.

Grandson has left home and is currently renting. No savings that I am aware of.

I had a bit of an idea but not a whole plan about helping them buy one which my Grandson will live in and help clear the mortgage so they can sell and split it or help each other have their own.

Thank you all.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The fact your grandson has no savings would suggest he is not ready for home ownership and the associated costs. Buying a property for both of them could be a potential minefield - what if one doesn't want to sell and split the proceeds for example.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you talking about them living together? How will that work? What if they want to move away for work or one of them meets a partner and wants to buy a house with them?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family