Enforcing the TV License

Options
13»

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Providers would not release such information without a court order. Its private information and they have no obligation towards the BBC.

However on a totally different subject, if for any reason you want to hide your IP. Just download the Opera internet browser and enable the VPN.

You can't normally watch iPlayer if you are using a VPN. It did work until about a year ago. Annoying, as I used to watch BBC news via a VPN when on holiday. Thinking about it, that's probably when I switched to Sky, and realised how much better it is.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only detection of any kind of receiving equipment their vans could detect is the use of the monitor. When I was a British Gas customer their bill did a breakdown of the appliances used, Lights, cookers, fridge/freezer and TV monitors.
    The reading for monitors was about £6 on that bill only I hadn't had the TV on for over 13 months so their TELEVISION use was for my PC MONITOR. That's why they only use the vans as a deterrent because it could pick up a PC monitor and they could say it was your TV. Personally I use the TV for the radio, DVD's and PS4 as well as some Netflix and Prime content.
    That is why they will never use the vans to try and detect a TV because all they do is detect a monitor is in use which might or might not be a TV set!
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    my mum (over 75) is soon going to have to start paying and she doesn't have much disposable income. She does use iPlayer a lot.

Dump the internet connection and spend the money on a tv license...... simple really.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    They require you to sign up for iplayer with postcode, so I assume some data base checks it off.

.How they would know if the post code you supplied was your real one & not, for instance, local chip shop I've no idea

I've moved 5 times and still haven't updated my address it's still sheltered housing with a £7.50 yearly charge and I haven't lived there for 12 years. Then I sometimes use a VPN and watch iplayer. they conned me with the quarterly refund so I am hitting back.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    There HAS to be a better way of funding the BBC, rather than the current King Canute approach of the Govt./BBC.

Of course there is but at the moment the Govt. can "control" the BBC and the BBC is absolutely terrified of a subscription model where people have a choice because it would threaten it's guaranteed £4500 million a year Jacuzzi of cash.
  • Uxb1
    Uxb1 Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    We hear a lot about other countries having TV Licences, but apart from Ireland (where An Post enforcers are extremely unpopular), you rarely hear anything about how enforcement actually works in practice.

In Germany as I've said before it works that every household has to have a license even if they have no TV: - its just another tax.
    In essence the debts from non payment builds up with penalties from non payments added on.
    Eventually it will get to the point where the money owing is at a level where debt collectors are legally allowed to merely take it direct from your bank account instead. Being efficient Germany (your papers please) of course all this info is available to the authorities.
    Whether they do actually carry out the law and compulsory deduct it from bank accounts as just another debt owing I've no idea.

Frankly I'd rather we keep the current chaotic system. I'd rather not it be lumped into council tax as a compulsory 100% German like universal tax.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    As more and more people install VPN apps on their devices, it'll be nigh on impossible to tie an IP address to a physical address.

My devices show as being based in Stockholm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure