We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help, I can't afford my T-Mobile contract 6 months in

Hi,

I'm on a 18 month flext + web'n'walk 35 contract which suits my usage perfectly. I use the internet from it a lot and this is the main reason I went with t-mobile.

Problem is, I have fallen on hard times and can't afford my monthly bill. I hear it may be possible to get a cashback deal and they seem a lot cheaper for the same tarrif. At a pinch I could do with dropping down to a 30 or 25 to save me a tenner (I'm paying £42 month now the discounted first few months are gone).

Is there ANYTHING I can do part way through an 18 month contract?

Please advise, tried to talk to t-mobile and found it a nightmare just getting through to anyone. Plus they won't advise me of any 'out of tmobile' options.

Greg.
«1

Comments

  • mcmanlyn
    mcmanlyn Posts: 422 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    You will be able to move you tariff down on the 17th month (which is totally unhelpful!)
    Other than that you are stuck unfortunately - you signed up to 18 months and will have to stay with them for 18 months!
    Wondering how to have a life & not rack up more debts...
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    unfortunatly you have £500 or so still to pay on the contract so even selling the phone isnt going to clear it off.
    knuckle down and pay im afraid unless T mobile are open to changing tarrif
  • Just ring up and ask to change! I was on a 18mth contract, and they were more than happy to change mine.
  • Butlers1982
    Butlers1982 Posts: 3,286 Forumite
    ring them and tell them you want to change your contract,
  • Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    can you transfer the contract to someone that can afford it/wants it??

    I am looking for a contract so may take it over if the minutes and text(s) are decent so let me know what you have currently and the basic line rental. I have a cashback deal, but don't want to do another one so looking for a cheap contract....
  • aldino
    aldino Posts: 41 Forumite
    Saeed wrote: »
    can you transfer the contract to someone that can afford it/wants it??

    I am looking for a contract so may take it over if the minutes and text(s) are decent so let me know what you have currently and the basic line rental. I have a cashback deal, but don't want to do another one so looking for a cheap contract....
    when a change of ownership is done, any discounts are cancelled, so basically it would be the same as if you took out a new contract yourself
  • Thanks guys, going to talk to tmob again and see what they say - will get back to the forum on it.
  • try requesting a temporary disconnection from anywhere 3-6months.

    your service will be suspended & re-initiated after the period. hopefully you can get some money in that time.

    (you will then still be in the same month of the contract) This won't save you money as in cheaper line rental etc. it will just mean your payments are suspended for a few months... along with your phone line of course.

    proplusplus
    Information provided is offered as a guide, and should not be deemed to be 100% accurate/correct. Please verify with the appropriate company/legislation for confirmation. Always seek verification to ensure you do not encounter future problems!
  • pretty certain none of the networks offer suspensions, the best thing to do would be to either speak to the finance/credit control departments, or hope you get someone who knows what there doing on c/service side,

    but i`m pretty sure there going to say you agreed to the contract and they will expect you to honour it, the best you can do i would have thought is to lower the tariff whenever you contract allows it, and hope your circumstances change, good luck with problem
  • @ Mrrincewind

    the reason i suggest it is that it is indeed a service provided by the networks. whether it be due to temporarily going abroad, or due to financial difficulties.

    before requesting it, acct. balance must be £0.

    I know for sure Orange offer it. i can only assume other networks do to.


    proplusplus
    Information provided is offered as a guide, and should not be deemed to be 100% accurate/correct. Please verify with the appropriate company/legislation for confirmation. Always seek verification to ensure you do not encounter future problems!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.