IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Claim Form - CEL - County Court

Options
Hi all,

I have been passed a claim form against myself, the claimant is CEL and I can see from posts that they are regular offenders. The total claimed against me is £268.37.

After looking through the NEWBIES thread, I am still pretty confused as to my defence.

I have been passed the claim form by the residents (same street name and number) in a neigbouring town with a similar address to my own BUT in a different town. The claim form was issued on 14th May and the court is for Northampton County Court Business Centre. My address is similar to the one on the claim form, however, the address underneath my name is NOT my correct address - hence not receiving the claim form.

I have submitted acknowledgment of service as per the NEWBIES thread on 19th May and it was received on 20th May (How long does this give me to send my defence?).

What is the best defence for me to use as I cannot find this in the NEWBIES thread, as I have not received any letters previously to my address - this is what I want to base my defence on.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you have used your real name as your forum name then you need to get MSE to change it to something anonymous

The PPCS monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

The AOS you have done now gives you 28 days from the date of service of the claim to get your defence sent in
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    email a SAR to the DPO at CEL for all docs , pics and data they hold on you, attaching a copy of the V5C as proof of identity (check your name and postal address are correct on that V5C first) , tonight if possible

also email that DPO a data rectification notice with the CORRECT postal address

read the dozens of other recent CEL court case threads and adapt the closest and post your draft below , for critique
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MarcusRash wrote: »
    The claim form was issued on 14th May and the court is for Northampton County Court Business Centre.

I have submitted acknowledgement of service as per the NEWBIES thread on 19th May and it was received on 20th May (How long does this give me to send my defence?).
    With a Claim Issue Date of 14th May, and having done the Acknowledgement of Service in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 17th June 2019 to file your Defence.

That's two weeks away. Loads of time to produce a good Defence, but don't leave it to the last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
      Print your Defence.
    1. Sign it and date it.
    2. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    3. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    4. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    5. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    6. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    7. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
  • MarcusRash
    MarcusRash Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Quentin,

Not to do with my real name / identity, thanks though

Quentin wrote: »
    If you have used your real name as your forum name then you need to get MSE to change it to something anonymous

The PPCS monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

The AOS you have done now gives you 28 days from the date of service of the claim to get your defence sent in
  • MarcusRash
    Options
    Hi Redx,

Thanks for the advice. Did forget to mention that my vehicle is a lease vehicle, therefore they hold the V5....?

Redx wrote: »
    email a SAR to the DPO at CEL for all docs , pics and data they hold on you, attaching a copy of the V5C as proof of identity (check your name and postal address are correct on that V5C first) , tonight if possible

also email that DPO a data rectification notice with the CORRECT postal address

read the dozens of other recent CEL court case threads and adapt the closest and post your draft below , for critique
  • Redx
    Options
    use a scan or pic of your N1 form then

bear in mind that maybe the lease firm gave them the wrong details
  • MarcusRash
    Options
    Hi Redx

I am not familiar with an N1 , can you elaborate please?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A N1 form is your Claim Form,
  • Redx
    Options
    the N1 form is the court claim form you received (MCOL court claim pack)

have you checked your paperwork ? it was mentioned in your opening paragraph
  • MarcusRash
    Options
    Hi Redx

I have got my claim form yes.

I need to know what to do regarding the paragraph you wrote about SAR and so on. My vehicle is a lease vehicle therefore I do not have the V5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport