Great Christmas Day MoneySaving Dinner, Booze, Games & More Hunt

Options

Comments

• pennypinchingmum
    Options
    cranberry sauce is so easy to make i would recommend doing it yourselves it keeps for at least a week in the fridge and goes beautifully with cheese and crackers.
    Just add 1 pack of cranberries about £1 if you pick them up cheaply from the market or frozen, add a little water, sugar and may be a touch of sherry boil it up then let it cool and it's delicious.
  • pennypinchingmum
    Options
    cranberry sauce is so easy to make i would recommend doing it yourselves it keeps for at least a week in the fridge and goes beautifully with cheese and crackers.
    Just add 1 pack of cranberries about £1 if you pick them up cheaply from the market or frozen, add a little water, sugar and may be a touch of sherry boil it up then let it cool and it's delicious.
  • troubrs
    troubrs Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I usually buy cheap (but sturdy) crackers - the sort you can easily undo & tie up again with gold ribbon. This year I got 2 x packs of 6 gold ones from Poundland. I undo one end, take out the cheapo present & put in individual ones (you can spend as much or as little as you like) - I;ve saved some freebie lipsticks for the girls, packets of seeds for the gardeners, & little toys for the kids. My crackers will still cost less than buying more expensive ones & I know the gifts ar personalised.

Always make your own pig in blankets, they're a fraction of the price of ready made & can be made in advance & frozen.

This year I'm feeling quite clever - I think my home grown sprouts will be ready just at the right time, & parsnips certainly will be!
  • simple_living
    Options
    auntynet wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I hate getting ripped of at christmas and one of the ones that bugs me most is the cost of the veggies we buy for our xmas dinner. Sprouts especially virtually double in price! :mad:
    Tesco online (don't know about instore), frozen button sprouts 68p for 1.1kg.
    Very good I think.
  • linzibean
    Options
    The Works bookshop have great make your own crackers kits, only £1.49 for 8 crackers and you get a bang, hat and a joke. Fill with various freebies gathered over the year and voila, posh crackers ;)
  • sillymee
    Options
    What i want is a very good but as cheap as possible chateauneuf du pape!

Hi Mirandamayhem

Another forum member reccommended visiting www.quaffersoffers.co.uk they have 3 special offers listed at the moment. The best deal looks like Morrisions Chateuneuf Du Pape Excellence 2005 for £9.99 reduced from £12.99.

Although they do not have any Chateauneuf Du Pape (except in the 'overpriced' gift section!) Virgin wines have some brilliant deals on, which I have posted in the referrers section (so not to break any rules). Between me and a few family members we've ordered 4 cases of wine, so far, at a cost of £26 each after discount and I've got £60 'in the bank' which will buy another case just for referring them. Altogether we will have got 5 cases of decent stuff (most I bought was also on special offer) for just over £100.

Kind regards

Sillymee:beer:
    :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    sillymee wrote: »
    Hi Mirandamayhem

Another forum member reccommended visiting www.quaffersoffers.co.uk they have 3 special offers listed at the moment. The best deal looks like Morrisions Chateuneuf Du Pape Excellence 2005 for £9.99 reduced from £12.99.

Although they do not have any Chateauneuf Du Pape (except in the 'overpriced' gift section!) Virgin wines have some brilliant deals on, which I have posted in the referrers section (so not to break any rules). Between me and a few family members we've ordered 4 cases of wine, so far, at a cost of £26 each after discount and I've got £60 'in the bank' which will buy another case just for referring them. Altogether we will have got 5 cases of decent stuff (most I bought was also on special offer) for just over £100.

Kind regards

Sillymee:beer:

Thanks for all that! I am tempted by virgin, but i now have 30 bottles following the Tesco offer last week, so can't by much more! Will look at morrison's though!:beer:
    :rudolf:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buy sprouts still on the stem that way they last longer. We get ours from a farm shop.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • sillymee
    Options
    Thanks for all that! I am tempted by virgin, but i now have 30 bottles following the Tesco offer last week, so can't by much more! Will look at morrison's though!:beer:

My Mum and I have just ordered a case each from Tesco too, but I'm not looking forward to it now as it was cheap plonk! I'm hoping the Virgin stuff is a bit nicer. Mum's arrived today (she ordered me a bottle of champers but I'm saving for Christmas), but I'm still waiting for mine. It's really worthwhile doing it if you like a tipple and can afford it before Christmas (I'm going to store mine as I'm cutting down drinking in the New Year!?!) as you can then refer your own friends/family as they get £40 and you get £20. Just between me and my boyfriend, we've actually spent £50, but Virgin have 'given' us £100 and with the other friends I've referred so far I have another £100 'in the bank' - it's really not going to help cutting down on the booze...

Hope you enjoy yours, I guess you got the Tesco 25% discount? Can you belive although I love wine I've never drunk Chateauneuf Du Pape - I've got fairly cheap tastes when it comes to wine (thank goodness, or I'd be bankrupt). Although I do draw the line at some of the really cheap rubbish my Mum seems to prefer - she's buys stuff from France at less than £1 per bottle! I'm generally a red drinker, with the exception of fizz, but I tend to find when I buy more expensive bottles they tend to be a bit heavy on the oak which I'm not mad keen on. I think I need to become more educated when it comes to wine - the Virgin stuff has tasting notes, so I'll have fun with those but I'm not 'spitting'

:beer:
    :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are in Tesco's wine club they are sending out vouchers at the moment;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts