»

Great Christmas Day MoneySaving Dinner, Booze, Games & More Hunt

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Great Christmas Day MoneySaving Dinner, Booze, Games & More Hunt

39 replies 24.4K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
What's it about?

Whether you're looking for a cheaper alternative to turkey this Christmas, hunting for deals on booze or on the look-out for something to do after the dinner other than watch the Queen's speech I'd like to tap MoneySavers' huge collective research powers to find the cheapest sources of Christmas dinner, booze games and more.

Click reply to let us know about your finds
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember who posted this site:
    http://www.thesavvyhomemaker.com/index_files/HomemadeLiqueurs.htm
    But if you're on the hunt for liqueurs this Xmas, you can save a heap by easily making your own.

I'm already a big fan of homemade baileys made like this:
    450ml whisky
    1 400g can evaporated milk
    1 400g can condensed milk
    1 tsp instant coffee
    ½ tsp vanilla extract
    (it keeps about 2 months in the fridge)

But I've just made the amaretto on that site, and I can't tell the difference between that and Disaronno. I just used cheapo vodka and brandy.

With most of the homemade recipes, you at least double if not triple the quantity of cheap spirit by adding sugar, water and other flavourings. It's really the most moneysaving thing I ever found to do at Xmas.

An aniseed liqueur is next on my list to make!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • AMIE399AMIE399 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    playing the chocolate game of " im a celebrity get me out of here " is great after dinner, its sooooo much fun, there are great funny questions, role play and the best part is.... you get to eat CHOCOLATE !!! ok, some of them have a salt or spicey bit added , but only a few. they also give you jelly bugs to munch on !!!!! you can get it in places like M&S or BHS, it costs about £5 ( havent got one this year yet, so cant say price ) but these sort of games are often on 3 4 2.
    slimmimg world weight loss 6lbs
    started 27/1/10
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are having a load of friends round a week before for a big xmas dinner. Everyone coming is contributing by paying towards the food and bringing wine. I get to cook loads for a lot of people and that is something I enjoy.
    Like this you can have posher things than you would if you were by yourselves. e.g. we can order a meat hamper from the butchers and know it will all be used, and 'xmas cakes from around the world' instead of just the one cake :)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my party games are posted on this thread from last year

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=294473
  • lidl's cranberry sauce is yummy. Has whole cranberries in syrup.
    What i want is a very good but as cheap as possible chateauneuf du pape!
    :rudolf:
  • We've been cheap gourmets for years now, as every Christmas we bypass the £20 turkeys in the supermarket and buy a brace (that's 2) of pheasants from the butcher for about a fiver. Yes, that's FIVE pounds. The taste is amazing, it cooks in about 1 1/2 hours (so no having the oven on full blast all morning either), and two pheasants will feed six sensible people or four gluttons. Plus everyone will think you're right posh. :D

Ask your butcher or (bizarrely) fishmonger (something to do with having to have a licence to sell game I think) if they stock pheasant, and book yours now. Guaranteed free range too! :beer:

[btw: serve roast pheasant with the normal spuds n veg, plus red cabbage and a strong fruity chutney - I use elderberry - or redcurrant sauce]
    :TProud to be dealing with my debts :T
  • Don't know about you but I hate getting ripped of at christmas and one of the ones that bugs me most is the cost of the veggies we buy for our xmas dinner. Sprouts especially virtually double in price! :mad:

I buy my veg during the first week in December and freeze them. Works out even cheaper than buying frozen veg and saves you time and effort on the big day itself. :beer:

If you've never frozen your own veg and don't know what to do, there's lots of advice on the net - I especially like this site as it gives instructions for most veg.

http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/freezing.asp
  • auntynet wrote: »
    Don't know about you but I hate getting ripped of at christmas and one of the ones that bugs me most is the cost of the veggies we buy for our xmas dinner. Sprouts especially virtually double in price! :mad:

I buy my veg during the first week in December and freeze them. Works out even cheaper than buying frozen veg and saves you time and effort on the big day itself. :beer:

If you've never frozen your own veg and don't know what to do, there's lots of advice on the net - I especially like this site as it gives instructions for most veg.

http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/freezing.asp

That sounds great but how do you cook them?

Do you do them as normal?
    :A this web site is heavenly :A
  • Uniscots97Uniscots97 Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lidl's cranberry sauce is yummy. Has whole cranberries in syrup.
    What i want is a very good but as cheap as possible chateauneuf du pape!

Try Aldi's I got mine there last year for 5.99 and it was lovely.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Aldi have turkey crowns and whole turkeys for a fraction of the price of the other supermarkets. I bought a reasonable-sized turkey crown there last week for £6.99.