Credit Card Purchase Protection Abroad

spluff
spluff Posts: 181 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all,

I bought a marble statue in Vietnam on the 14th May for £1500 with Credit Card. They said it was delivery to Port of Leeds (which I have found does not exist!)

I have tried contacting them via email to query this and other questions and they are not replying.

I am wondering is there a time limit on claiming money back on purchases abroad?

Cheers

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Candyapple is correct although the 120 days is flexible to some degree.

Initially its 120 days form the date of purchase but any delay you can evidence allows the 120 to be restarted from the day of delay, up to a maximum up 540 days.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Why did you specify delivery to port of Leeds rather than your home address?

Leeds is of course in the centre of the country so it's unlikely to have a port
  • spluff
    Thanks for the replies.....

Is the 120 days protection for purchases abroad aswell as ones in the UK?

I didnt know Leeds didnt have a direct port - I thought maybe it would be transferred via river? or something.... Hull wasn't on list of ports they deliver to in the UK.... (they dont deliver to house, just to port then you have to organise delivery from port)

So its been 3 days since I have had no replies from emails - I guess I will give it another week or so before speaking with credit card?
  • eco_warrior
    spluff wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.....

Is the 120 days protection for purchases abroad aswell as ones in the UK?

I didnt know Leeds didnt have a direct port - I thought maybe it would be transferred via river? or something.... Hull wasn't on list of ports they deliver to in the UK.... (they dont deliver to house, just to port then you have to organise delivery from port)

So its been 3 days since I have had no replies from emails - I guess I will give it another week or so before speaking with credit card?

The country the purchase took place in has no affect when it comes to not receiving the goods.

You can contact the credit card company to raise a dispute when either:

1) The specified delivery date has passed; or if there was no date then either
    2) 30 days have passed if you paid on a MasterCard
    3) 15 days have passed if you paid on a Visa

Calendar days, not working.

Were you given an invoice or a delivery date?

Buying things abroad to be delivered back to the UK is quite risky imo.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just to fill in a little, Chargeback protection kicks in for certain specified situations (non-receipt of goods is one of those) and it applies worldwide. It applies regardless of the transaction amount and it applies equally to debit and credit card transactions.

The Chargeback mechanism evolved (I believe) because, in the early days of card payments, the payment schemes (Visa/MasterCard) needed to promote card usage and encourage customers to feel safe using cards in preference to other forms of payment.

Chargebacks provide consumer redress/protection in an easy-to-use, fee-free (for the customer at least) mechanism that doesn't require expensive use of legal professionals and courts of law across multiple countries with multiple languages and cultural differences to contend with.
  • spluff
    Yes we were given 2 months from purchase - 1 month to make and 1 month to ship

I think it would be section 75 - not chargeback would be the route to resolve things?

Maybe im just worrying but I dont like not getting any reply for days with simple queries on an order which cost £1500 :)
  • eco_warrior
    spluff wrote: »
    Yes we were given 2 months from purchase - 1 month to make and 1 month to ship

I think it would be section 75 - not chargeback would be the route to resolve things?

Maybe im just worrying but I dont like not getting any reply for days with simple queries on an order which cost £1500 :)

Banks will use the chargeback process to help you before considering Section 75. Goods not received under Section 75 is pretty much unheard of, as generally there is no need.

I hope your statue arrives and the advice on here isn't required :)
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eco-warrior, with your more up-to-date Chargeback knowledge, how might this dispute pan out if, after a Chargeback, the retailer provided evidence that the statue had been delivered to the agreed-upon location? (i.e. Port of Leeds which we know hasn't existed for many years - unless they mean 'airport' of Leeds).

Would you seek arbitration on the basis that there is no such location, so it would be impossible to have delivered there? How would you counter any claim from the Acquirer that it was the cardholder who actually specified 'Port of Leeds' when making the purchase?

Do you believe that the Cardholder's attempts to contact the retailer regarding the non-existent port during the manufacturing period (and before shipping) would go in their favour?
  • eco_warrior
    Eco-warrior, with your more up-to-date Chargeback knowledge, how might this dispute pan out if, after a Chargeback, the retailer provided evidence that the statue had been delivered to the agreed-upon location? (i.e. Port of Leeds which we know hasn't existed for many years - unless they mean 'airport' of Leeds).

Would you seek arbitration on the basis that there is no such location, so it would be impossible to have delivered there? How would you counter any claim from the Acquirer that it was the cardholder who actually specified 'Port of Leeds' when making the purchase?

Do you believe that the Cardholder's attempts to contact the retailer regarding the non-existent port during the manufacturing period (and before shipping) would go in their favour?

I can't think of a dispute that mirrors this scenario to be honest. I am unsure how the merchant could prove the goods were delivered to a fictional address? or insist the cardholder decided upon the address.

If the OP doesn't receive anything I think the chargeback is fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure